cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

VPN usage

Hi,

I am using VPN on my PC but as long as I use it I got problems with my internet connection.

My router keeps disconnecting.

Does NOW TV ban all VPN usage ?

• PC
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Any that it can detect, yes.

VPNs can be used to overcome geographical restrictions, and that is a NowTV no-no.

Anyone using a VPN for other reasons gets caught in the backwash as a result.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Now don’t allow access over VPNs because they don’t know where the requests are coming from, geographically, and the deals they have with content providers, and even the deals Sky have with streaming providers they licence their own programming to, require that georestrictions be in force,

So you have to be coming in from a UK IP address, and not one used as an outlet by a VPN provider. And there are other ways of detecting VPNs…

So you have to decide if you trust Now enough to open up a non-VPN channel between them and you.

This is something that any decent VPN will let you do; whitelist (kind of) any trusted channel so it goes direct, and not over the VPN.

And it’s also essential to have this for any VPN built into a router, or there will be all sorts of websites you just can’t reach. 

So it isn’t that Now will stop you using a VPN at all; just that you need to access Now’s content from outside it.

I think you will find most legitimate content providers will do the same.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for contacting NOW TV, you are talking to Barry. How can I help?
Barry
Hi ... I will receive my kit today and will be online on the 21st ... Question: Will I be able to contact my work through VPN?
08:37
I can guarantee anything like that, the VPN would be third party software and you would need to speak to them about it
Barry
08:39
Does NowTV Broadband block VPN? your "community" forum seems to think so. If so this is a big problem.
We don't block them we just don't offer any support for them

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Barry needs some further training - chase this link and expand the question shown.

This tells you that NowTV do indeed block VPN usage on NowTV, which the question I answered above was asking about.

But this is not quite the same thing as blocking VPNs on NOW Broadband, though they do indeed do this by default.

Chase this link and expand the fifth issue, the one that mentions VPN, to see what you need to do to reach your VPN at work, when you are working remotely.

Sheesh, and Barry is getting paid, while I’m just doing this out of the goodness of my heart...🎻 🎻🎻 💓💓

Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI,

Log onto your NowTV Broadband Buddy and select custom settings and unblock "Anonymizers, Filesharing & Hacking" or turn off the buddy and your VPN should work.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi it wont let me into my broadband buddy settings it just goes straight to parental pin for my tv im not happy with them as surely you should have to request a broadband buddy not get one forced on you. They closed so cant even ring them can you help me

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

This link should point you in the right direction.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/set-up-and-manage-broadband-buddy

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help