cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

VHS quality over gigabit internet

I have gigabit internet and the stream quality is terrible.

As fun as it is to watch companies deflect blame onto users the reality is that internet speeds have exceeded the requirements for 1080p streaming.

Here is some proof so we can skip over the "It's your fault" part of the conversation. Some actual truth and help would be appreciated, especially considering the cost of the now service compared to competitors.

Low quality one

Low quality with speed test

Low quality three

P.S. Yes I pay for the HD "Boost"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User It could be server capacity. Sky has several data centres around the UK and from experience of using my account around the country, picture quality varies.

I'm in London and currently watching F1 on a Roku Premiere with Boost. The stream is stable and the picture is perfect.

IMG_20210418_151722__01__01.jpg

A majority of the complaints here regarding picture quality seem to be PC related. There are so many components and variables it is never one thing that can be pinned down.

If you only watch on your PC, there's no need for boost as the maximum resolution for PC is 720p.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User It could be server capacity. Sky has several data centres around the UK and from experience of using my account around the country, picture quality varies.

I'm in London and currently watching F1 on a Roku Premiere with Boost. The stream is stable and the picture is perfect.

IMG_20210418_151722__01__01.jpg

A majority of the complaints here regarding picture quality seem to be PC related. There are so many components and variables it is never one thing that can be pinned down.

If you only watch on your PC, there's no need for boost as the maximum resolution for PC is 720p.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Much appreciated, I opened it on the TV app and it's crystal clear on the TV and awful on the PC.

It seems like there is some kind of technical issue with the PC app.

There really should be a notice somewhere about this... I'll ponder my long term use of Now but at least I can use it for today.

I'll leave this open for a few days to see if someone has a fix for the PC app.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue here with LG TV app and PC app, but Roko fine.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Noticed that the Roko app appears to be streaming from different servers, in the BskyB network. The PC app is using Akamai.

Could this be the issue?