cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Trouble updating to the latest version of the Mac Player

If you're having problems when trying to update to the new version of the Mac Player, we are currently investigating this and expect to have a fix shortly.

In the meantime to get around this please follow the steps below:

Note: Before doing this, make sure the NOW TV Player app is closed.

1. Open Finder on your Mac.
  2. Click your username on the left hand side bar or in the top menu bar click Go and select your Home folder (see image below).
  3. Go into your Applications
  4. Move the NOW TV Player to your trash.
  5. Next open your browser in either a private or incognito window... or clear your cookies.
  6. Try to watch something and you should be taken through the install journey like you were the first time.
  7. In theory, this should allow you to perform a fresh install of the latest player

Comms Mac Player.png

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable

They hold their customers in complete contempt. I shall be writing to the Ombudsman and pursuing my complaint all the way. Now TV is unable to provide the service for which it is marketing and charging!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi ,

I'm on an old version of the mac OS 10.8.5, the Now TV silverlight plug has been working well for a couple of years. Now they have gone to the app of course this version of the OS is no longer supported, so I can no longer watch Now TV on the Mac. It is extremely arrogant of these media conpanies to assume that you will upgrade your PC just because of their application. I am a software engineer. There is a concept called backwards compatibility , perhaps the words are too long for them to understand; not sure anyway.. How about maintaining support for the the old browser app, it worked.

They are not the only culprits, can I use that word, yes less then 9 , its ok. Amazon have done the same...

Time to move on I suppose..

Disgruntled of Somerset

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I followed Karl's instructions, deleting old players and going on private, but still keep recieving the notficiation 'Could not complete installation' after the installer has downloaded the app. Anyone else experiencing this problem/have a fix?! Dont want to be watching all my sport on my phone!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

give this a go !

1. remove all versions of now tv from mac.

2. restart mac

3. navigate to https://help.nowtv.com/article/watching-now-tv-on-a-mac and download the player.

4. navigate to the location of the download. right click the now tv install and select show package contents.

5. navigate contents - macOs.

6. run Install NowTv . a terminal window should open. DO NOT WORRY IT WILL STILL FAIL THE INSTALL !!!

7. in the terminal window you need to look for this towards the very end. The exact location will most likely be different.

installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/var/folders/0_/dxkn_c1152v964nglm555_5c0000gn/T/tmp-NOWTVPlayer-Mac.dmg’.”

8. Now open a finder window and navigate to your macintosh hd. (go/computer/macintosh hd)

9. Input cmd+shift+ .

10. you should now see all hidden files.

11. Navigate to the location given in the error in your terminal window and find and run the “tmp-Nowtvplayer-mac.dmg”

12. follow install instructions.

13. navigate to nowtv.com, login, start watching !!

14. to hide the hidden files in macintosh hd input. cmd + shift + .

Happy Watching !!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Havig trouble too - honestly this is pathetic.

Hooba
Scholar 3

Thanks Croftie - worked a treat. 

What a pain though ..... Sheesh.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wow, I've been talking to their customer service for 3 hours and now they're directing me to this fix. I'm not a proficient Mac user though, and I don't understand how to do point 8 and point 11 if you could give me a bit more of a dummies guide? 🙂