cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The NOW player which no one likes but still gets forced onto you isn't working on my Mac?

For some reason the player will not work on my Mac. It says I am running capture software which I am not. This is a pointless integration into the player anyway as the software isn't visible to screen capturing anyway. I tried print screening to show you the error and my open applications and the software doesn't show up in the screen cap. If I wanted to screen record NOW TV I would use a capture card and so can anyone else as capture cards literally cost next to nothing these days. You can get HD 1080p 60FPS capture cards on eBay for like $30.

Quit forcing this trash player which not 1 person who subscribes to Now TV actually thinks is a good idea and its also plastered all over the forums about how people unsubscribe from the service because of the unlimited problems this player causes. Stop putting bandaids on it and put the useless bloatware in the trash and develop a browser player like every other service that's updated to the nearest decade. After that you mite actually here people mention this service in a conversation for once. 

After you done that send me an update email and I just mite actually consider subscribing. 

12 REPLIES 12
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User this is a customer community so any use of 'you' (in reference to the powers that be at Now) just disappear into the ether.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Saint1976 I was given a trial to the service and I had never used it before. I had never heard good things about NOW TV but thought I would make an opinion from my own experience and it a a trial so if it's rubbish then the only thing I've lost out on is my time. 

It somewhat worked on my Xbox although rendering wasnt great. Could clearly see it wasn't a consistent HD stream. I know my broadband isn't an issue as oakla speedtest says I'm getting 70Mbps and my Xbox normally downloads games at roughly 40Mbps with other devices connected to the broadband aswell. Besides I mainly watch streaming services on my MacBook when I'm not at home so the fact this doesn't work on my Mac (allot of other people's Mac's aswell) then it's not worth me paying for a full subscription. Plus if they can't even supply consistent 1080p on a 70Mbps connection which is capable of streaming 4k then honestly this service is a pure money grab with minimal investment into providing a good service. This is probably why the only people that actually use it are people that get the service for more or less nothing through BT and also people that wanna watch sport but don't have a TV subscription. 

They most likely are so desperate to get subscriber's that they take every single precaution they can to prevent piracy when this has actually cost them more money then it's saved because several people don't pay for the service because it doesn't work for them. Also does it actually matter if someone screen records a film from NOW TV? Because last I checked there was several services that offer pirated media? So if your screen recording from NOW then your not the brightest of people because this is gonna be a low quality copy of that film after the screen capture has ruined the quality. You could just download the film from somewere and have a blueray version? Not that I agree with piracy as people should be paid for there hard work. But just saying that virtually no one is going to screen record a film. The very few people what would aren't the sort of people that would distribute it and if they tried to then no one would download it from them due to the low quality after it's been passed through the screen recording software. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The only way you’ll get 1080p on NOW is via Boost. And even then it’s only capable with certain devices.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 Yh I know I had boost. I said it wasn't consistently streaming HD meaning it would go to HD then go down to 480p and constantly switch between them. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Even with boost laptops are restricted to 720p so you’ll never see it on the player.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

With the Xbox are you using Wi-fi or Ethernet?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 I was using it on my Xbox One the bloatware proprietary player doesn't seem to want to work on my MacBook. Also if laptops are restricted to 720p that just makes me not want the service even more. My screen is 2560 x 1600 so 720p is less then half my resolution.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

So with laptops my understanding is that Windows 11 will be using the Amazon App Store, my guess is NOW will end up using that to get laptops etc with support for boost as it will save them creating a brand new app.

When windows 11 launches don’t be shocked when boost is finally supported for laptops.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Unless you are trialling Boost, you won’t get 1080p, only 720p.

As has been said of DRM, the copy protection on Macs and Windows laptops is just one more obstacle placed in the path of the consumer, when the bad guys can get round it, no trouble.

The reason for it, though, is that Now have to be able to demonstrate to the companies that it sources content from that it is safeguarding their intellectual property from piracy.

And yes, they have chosen something rather draconian, that seems to defeat legitimate watching rather too often 😢

But any thoughts of relaxing this blew away on the wind when Now brought in Boost, with 1080p and 5.1 surround sound, making their streams the quality equal of any source that might end up on a torrent….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB I had a trial for boost and it would get HD sometimes but a majority of the time it would drop down to 480p, if not less. 

Thats my point why have these precautions in place when they don't slow down the "bad guys" at all at the cost the average consumer who ends up loosing access to the service because of it. 
No other service does this sort of stuff because they know if someone is going to pirate something then they will. The only reason they would need to stop pirating is from Live streams of sports in which case people are gonna illegally stream this are going to be using a high quality capture card and not software. 

NOW TV have to do something to bring customers in because judging from the way technology is moving on TV subscription services are becoming less popular as Netflix and prime are climbing the ladder. Sky is going to go from the largest company to watch TV to the smallest. The only thing people will be using NOW TV for is for sports and that doesn't appeal to the same amount of people as movies and TV series. So many people these days are cancelling Sky TV and instead use APPs on their smart TV. It's cheaper and you get more or less everything anyway. With Sky TV you pay for the Sky Box aswell making is much more expensive then to pay for streaming services. With streaming services you get the same amount of entertainment from them aswell. More or less all the popular shows to do this day get deals with Netflix and or Prime because it's where they get a majority of their viewers from. If Sky lost all their Sky TV customers overnight and had to rely on Now TV to keep the company going they would most likely go bankrupt.