cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

TV Guide

Hi, I have had the entertainment pass for a week and still can't find an actual tv guide that tells me what programmes are on and when. Using NowTV via laptop as I hadn't realised the stick that goes into the tv was something completely different - getting really frustrated. I have searched the forums and can't find a link or anything that is easy and can take me to a tv guide so I can choose what I want to watch. There is talk of an app that helps decide what tv to watch - directs me to a sales page. I don't need to be sold to, I already have now tv, I just want a simple tv guide I can refer to so I know what to watch and when.  Any help appreciated. Thank-you

• PC
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't believe NowTV offer a full 7 day EPG guide for any of their channels on their service where they only provide a Now & Next live channel TV Guide from all the devices i use.

Don't tend to watch much live entertainment stuff myself and mainly watch boxsets or catch up entertainment TV shows on NowTV, but when i am looking ahead to see what's on the live channels during the week i tend to use the online 7 day TV Guide planner on the Sky website.

Not familiar of any App that you can use that integrates a TV guide that can be linked to your NowTV devices.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

Reading back now from the start of this thread, i can now see you was offering some sound advice to the originator who started this thread enquiring about a suitable 7 day TV guide by recommending the BT App 👍 (my bad).

I thought you was helping @Anonymous User with her problem that her hubby wants to watch & record live Sky Sports directly from the Talk Talk Youview box main TV Guide, where from my understanding is not currently possible.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @schnapps 

@Anonymous User s initial posting here was also just about getting a 7-day guide, which the BT TV app gives,  and I was recommending it as an alternative to the Sky Guide.

Not least because all us YouView box owners have had to move onto the BT TV app in order to still be able to set remote Freeview recordings, so they may already have it anyway.

TalkTalk customers with a Sky Boost (in the TalkTalk sense of Boost) used to be able to record Sky programmes, so NowTV comes as a decidedly second-class offering to those who had the Sky Boost, and this has left these TalkTalk customers somewhat riled.

And yes, only BT TV subscribers, who by definition need to be users of BT broadband, and who take their NowTV subscriptions via BT, can record these channels.

So, in principle, TalkTalk could do this as well if they wished, technically; but I suspect BT have deep pockets that were necessary to put this in place, and TalkTalk don’t.

Very interesting that this move by BT has brought NowTV centre stage now, though; I doubt that What HiFi? will be able to review streaming services next time and completely omit NowTV like they did recently, which will no doubt have caused some bruxellism in the basement of Sky Towers which NowTV share with the central heating boilers 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So can my hubby still record the football matches or Formula 1  through the talk talk box? Sorry to be a pain but this is very new to me.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Currently only BT TV customers who have the NowTV bolt on package can record live NowTV.

With live sports the options you have is to watch live, see if it's on a repeat broadcast later on. 

NowTV do offer a sports catch up service, but currently it's limited to mobile devices, PC's.

There is a workaround to this though not ideal, where you can use your smartphone, tablet, PC and start watching sports on demand, then jump over to the Talk Talk box and you should be able to pick up the sports event from there under Continue Watching on the NowTV App.

Or another method I use is to use the search feature on the NowTV App on the Talk Talk box. 

Maybe has a test run try typing in Manchester United v Aston Villa or Formula One has a trial run in the NowTV App search box. 

Ideally you need a smartphone or tablet with the NowTV App on it to see what's currently available on Sports catch up or on Demand to see what's currently available to watch to type in your Talk Talk NowTV App search box. 

NOWTV Sports on demand should be coming to more devices this year. 

One major problem for me with NowTV on demand sports is that the frame rate is only 25fps and doesn't look great when you compare the six out of eleven Sky Sports live channels that offer 50fps on NowTV when watching on a Youview box with a HD Boost Pass. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your patience.... I have to relay all this to hubby who is less techno. than me... I have told him that he can get catch up and we will take small steps until we get to grips with Now TV... 

Once again 

Thank you 🙂

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

It's a shame you are not a BT TV customer on their platform using the NowTV service would have been more straight forward for you and your husband when it comes to live NowTV, where you could have watched and recorded live Sky Sports directly from the main BT Youview box TV Guide.

If you can't get on with the NowTV App on your Youview box, then maybe send a complaint to Talk Talk and cancel your NowTV passes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

not even a day guide? 

just now and next only?

that is feeble!..

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's absolute rubbish.

I can't see a reason for it, either - every other TV app/box/whatever can show a full TV guide for all channels which stretches out for several days.

You shouldn't have to go online to see what's on later.

Sort this out, Now TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think a lack of a tv guide is an absolutely shocking omission from the stick...... and regardless of the fact that it is not a Freeview box........there would be no problem in adding a guide or an app you can download so you dont have to look into every single channel individually.

For me personally, it's making me wanna move to firestick , just for that one reason. 

I cant believe out of all the apps you can download onto the stick.......no single tv guide is available.

This should be sorted out as a matter of urgency as it defeats the whole point of having the stick if you cant find an easy way to get it ro work. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone over the age of 20.