cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Silverlight

I am not very computer literate but I have followed all the instructions to install/uninstall Silverlight and recently I simply cannot watch anything on NOW TV because it says I need to install Microsoft Silverlight which I have done on multiple occassions.

Please help – PS I have a macbook.

51 REPLIES 51
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Have you tried the Windows 10 App for NOW TV ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/now-tv/9wzdncrdm157

Cheers

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just want to start off by saying Silverlight is a terrible player and is there any way I could use a HTML player instead of this nonsense.

I have a iMac OSX Yosemite and I have been asked to download Silverlight version 5.1.50709.0. before I could watch NowTV as I always do. Never having faced a problem before, I downloaded Silverlight only to find Nowtv would not recognise that I have downloaded the latest version and will not let me watch anything. I have uninstalled/reinstalled restarted computer/safari many times with no change.

Please help me fix this problem/find a solution as I have wasted an evening trying to sort this out and i'm very frustrated/annoyed this software is forced apon use paying customers to us when it is shocking.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Firstly i am not familiar with Silverlight on a Mac, but perhaps there may be some useful information on this link thread below that may help you.

http://community.nowtv.com/t5/Mac-OS/You-need-to-install-or-update-Silverlight/m-p/399724/highlight/true#M1854

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

Thanks, hopefully I will have some luck with the link you've provided. 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same issue and have to say I've been mulling over moving to Netflix, especially as NOWTV keep tinkering and so I lose out watching somehting when I wanted to, i.e., now. 

You'd think they would test every platform, but obviously they don't. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

I also have Netflix as it's really good these days, but Nowtv has GameOfThrones and saves me buying sky to watch that!! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That was my original point regarding security but they chose to refer to the security aspect as copyright protection instead.

I meant security of the customers, not the precious licences for content.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know what you mean, I work within the IT sector. When Silverlight was slowly dying out, then discontinued a few years ago - my immediate thought was finally!! (Always was crap)

My second thought was, I wonder when NowTV and ITV Player (now hub) will seek a new player format otherwise they will end up with a service that none of their subscribers can watch....

I think we now know the answer to that. Just seems a shame that NowTV's view of this is 'We'll get around to it, if we have to...' Just shocking really.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Trying to watch Now TV on a macbook pro.

Using Firefox with latest version of Silverlight (which incidentally is a pain even when it does work as the fan starts roaring within seconds).

I click play, get the pop-up player, and it just remains a black screen. Nothing buffers or even attempts to. It just doesn't do anything.

Any thoughts?

Frustrated.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

Are you using AVG Anti-virus at all?

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team