cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ridiculously poor quality and browser based version doesn't work at all

Trying out the trial for NowTV I decided to watch this season of game of thrones, only to have trouble signing up for the thing in the first place (because apparently having dots in my email address is equivalent to having signed up in the past, funny old world) and then finding that after taking all that time to actually get logged in the quality of the video was the worst I have season in years. Tried multiple times, checked my network, tried again a day later and then seeing that apparently with internet explorer you can watch it on the browser. Turns out that ain't true either, as it just says buffering and does nothing else. For a professional service, this is rather disappointing. 

Please advise. 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem. I use a Macbook Air, and downloaded the Now TV player as promted. When it works the quality veers from fuzzy to clear, then sometimes it just jumps from scene to scene like photos (there must be a tecnical term for this) although the audio continues. It often just crashes, and I have to close it down and restart (which does not always guarantee a start at the same place). Very annoying. Tested the service on their help page and says all is OK. Can watch BBC, ITV etc with no quality problems. Great shows which I want to watch, but not like this.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am actually leaving Nowtv because of these issues, which, by the way, have been going on for months and Nowtv seem not remotely interested in the numerous complaints and other posts on this issue. My Mac gets so hot it takes an hour of fanning before it's fit for purpose and I know this cant' be good for it. So that's about £150 a year lost from me in subscriptions.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have downloaded the Nowtvplayer onto my ASOS laptop.

The visuals are fine but the sound is very poor - it sounds as if it is in an echo chamber.

Any advice please?

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User it will be the speakers you are using. Try different speakers or headphones.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply - but I am using a laptop, there are no external speakers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I'm having the same issues, browser based playback and getting what looks like it's not even 360p. Definitely not a hardware issue or network connection (High end gaming PC, 150mb internet connection - speedtest.net registers 20MB downstream). Anyone have any sugestions on getting something actually watchable out of it?

On a side note, anyone know if they're going to move away from using legacy frameworks like silverlight and move to something more flexable as other streaming services do, or even better release an app for the Amazon fire tv boxes? At the moment it seems they're falling way behind their competitors. Had a quick search but didn't find anything.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

For computer users running Windows 8.1 (or higher), it's better for you to install the NOW TV Windows app

After installing the new NOW TV Player app, it is advisable to completely remove the (now redundant) Silverlight plug-in from your computer. It is also advisable to remove any unnecessarily browsers you may have had to install in order to view the NOW TV service in the past.

Cheers