cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor NOW TV picture quality on a Mac

Extremely poor quality piture with flickering in full screen mode. Unwatchable. 

Any help appreciated. Usual things tried, such as silverlight reinstall, restart etc,

Existing thread answer makes no sense with comment on desktop management.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

Are you able to try on Firefox and let us know if the quality is the same?

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm not currently subscribed to Now TV so I can't help. I tend to subscribe intermittently on various devices.
The iMac seems the most problematic but I have been able in the past to watch it on fullscreen with no problems.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just subscribed today... awful quality on Mac (OSX 10.11.4), separate desktop doesn't help.

In Safari there's black flickering, in Firefox it just feels like it's playing 12 frames per sec.

Works fine on the TV, but I need it to work on both - if it doesn't get fixed soon I'm cancelling...

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

Can you confirm if your seeing the word "MAX" when your watching at the bottom? Do you have all system updates installed? and just so we can rule it out can you let us know what speeds your getting when you try to watch using speedtest.net?

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Simon,

the resolution is fine, it's showing MAX at the bottom. Speeds are between 60-70 mbps. Silverlight should be the latest version, as I have just downloaded it for this, browsers and system are up to date.

Btw, sorry to say, this problem is irrelevant for me now, because I just realized that there are no subtitles for the programmes, so I've cancelled my subscription.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Chris

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've come to believe that the issue with the browser-based player on Mac OS X is that it's being 'throttled' at the NowTV end, and it appears that bandwith is being prioritised for certain devices.

I have an AppleTV (4th Gen) and a Macbook Pro. I've not had any buffering problems on the Apple TV, even when streaming YouTube or Netflix on the MBP simultaneously, but the browser-based player is unwatchable. It simply isn't receiving the stream from NowTV servers at a fast enough rate, even though my internet connection is averaging 60Mbs.

It isn't a Silverlight/safari issue either, as both Netflix and BT Sport use it and they are working fine.

Seems that this service is just a means of upselling full Sky subscriptions.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm using the NOW TV Player (not Silverlight) on an iMac (running Yosemite 10.10.5).

The picture quality is unacceptably poor - it's bascially low res and there doesn't seem to be any controls in the NOW TV Player to make any difference.

HELP before Twin Peaks starts!

Is the NOW TV box an option? Could I plug that into my Eye TV device? (I use Eye TV to watch TV on my Mac - I don't own an actual telly)

Best

Ben