cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Player crashes on launch

Every time I open the NowTV app on my laptop (not even trying to make it play something), it crashes. For a few seconds it is ok, then it goes dark green and freezes, then closes a few seconds later.

This is only happening on my laptop (other PC is fine). I have reinstalled the player and restarted, to no avail.

I'm running Windows 10.

17 REPLIES 17
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Have you asked yourself the same question about Bitdefender?

Quite alone among tens of antivirus products, Bitdefender takes exception to how the NowTV player is coded.

And products like Bitdefender are there, supposedly, to protect you against malware. Which the NowTV Player manifestly isn’t.

So Bitdefender is putting up a false positive response to this Player; and they have to figure out the fault in their logic and fix it.

So nothing here for Now to fix at all.

Maybe you should switch to an antivirus that isn’t open to such charges of being a ‘poorly supported side project’? Malwarebytes is my go-to product here.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was having the same issue and this solved the issue for me by adding NOW TV player to the exception list on Bitdefender.

On Bitdefender Total Security app on your laptop go to Protection > Advanced Thread Defense (open) > Manage Exceptions > Add an Exception 

Then browse for the NOW TV Player launcher. On my laptop I found it in the below path:

C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\NOW TV\NOW TV Player\NOW TV Player.exe

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for posting this: Bitdefender was the problem and adding MoeTVPlayer to the exceptions list solved the problem. I hope everyone finds this solution.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks so much for posting about Bitdefender…solved this annoying problem but do wish the NOW TV admins will put this in their general FAQ list as there seem to be a few of us! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ Cchrzaszcz Thanks for this, worked for me after several hours of total frustration👍

Nb. on my attempt the final 'Now TV Player.exe' appears without the '.exe', but the Bitdefender exception browser adds the '.exe. itself. Had me slightly bamboozled for few minutes anyway!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

it's working!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I've been struggling with this problem for a few months, spent an hour looking into various error logs and eventually came across this solution from another thread (https://community.nowtv.com/t5/PC-Mac/Now-TV-Player-not-working/td-p/543900/page/2) which has worked for me, so hopefully you will have the same luck too!:

Navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow

Delete the Cisco folder

Open NowTV Player and it should work.

If this doesn't fix it, delete that cisco folder as well as any NowTV folder inside C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming 

Then reinstall NowTV Player

Tested on Windows 10 x64

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having this issue still! Any idea how to fix? Cant find the cisco folder and dont have bitdefender?