cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

PC - NOWTV Player Suddenly Stopped Working

I updated to the most recent player back in December 2020, and finally had the player working having not had it working on my laptop for about 12 months. I used the player last on 31 January 2021 without issue.

All of a sudden, the player has stopped working- I'm running 8.3.0. I have made zero updates to my computer software, Windows update etc. since the weekend, and now I am stuck in a loop where I click a link on the NOWTV website, takes me to the player and I end up with the message 'Head over to the NOWTV website...'.

Part way through the post I have installed some Windows updates, with no luck. I have uninstalled NOWTV and associated files through AppData including Videoguard files.

Any help appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I now have a solution. The problem was selecting videos through Firefox. It would send me into the endless loop. I can now watch Now TV as long as I select through Chrome.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have a nosy at this thread, someone has posted a method that seems to be a good fix. 

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/PC-Mac/Now-TV-Player-not-working/m-p/543900#M6683

Ive been having this problem for the last few days too, everything was working fine until suddenly the player refused to load properly and would just shut down after a few seconds. Reinstalling the player didn't help.

I have just found an old thread with a solution that worked for me!

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/PC-Mac/Player-keeps-crashing/td-p/497512

"Navigate to C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow

Delete the Cisco folder

Open NowTV Player and it should work.

If this doesn't fix it, delete that cisco folder as well as any NowTV folder inside C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming 

Then reinstall NowTV Player

Tested on Windows 10 x64"

Just deleting Cisco in LocalLow worked for me.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008thanks for the reply.

Since the update in December the VideoGuard now appears to run through Synamedia; the Cisco folder no longer exists in the Roaming / LocalLow folders. I've deleted in the same fashion as previous with no luck.

As the NOW TV player starts I see the new Synamedia folder appear in the LocalLow folder after deleting it, but it hangs on the screen with the guy in a wooly hat and jacket with mountains behind him asking me to go back to the website.

Might just have to wait it out like previously as NOW TV is completely useless at responding / giving out any useful advice.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I now have a solution. The problem was selecting videos through Firefox. It would send me into the endless loop. I can now watch Now TV as long as I select through Chrome.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is obviously an issue for a Windows 10 PC. I have tried every option to resolve the problem but no success. It was working fine 4 days ago. HelpNow have not advised that this is a known problem, and I am waiting for another suggestion. I have the 2 final episodes of The Leftovers I would like to watch - what a shame.....😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yup, terrible, terrible software. I've given up and will be cancelling my subs...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Couldnt agree more; been a software dev for ~30years & rarely have I seen such bad software ... every aspect of NOWTVs offering: website / app  seems to fall over at some point 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

this totally worked for me,

i did have to use the locate file from player app,

and folder to delete was called Synamedia, but that was where the cache was hiding,

thank you very much