cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV app closes when you take a screenshot of something else (Mac)

I'm a web developer and regularly use the macos screenshot tool both to measure pixels and also to screenshot things to explain to clients.

The NowTV app detects this, even when you're selectively screenshotting something else, in my case something on ANOTHER SCREEN, and it then stops your stream and puts up an error message complaining about the screenshot. In fact, this behaviour triggers even if you don't take a screenshot (e.g. press cmd+shift+4 to bring up the selective screenshot/pixel measuring tool but don't take the screenshot - still happens).

As I often have NowTV playing in the background while I work this is a constant annoyance and seems to be ridiculously paranoid on NowTV's part. Surely this wasn't worth the effort it took to implement it?

3 REPLIES 3
RoyB
Legend

NowTV will have thought it well worth the effort to stop people screen-scraping their video, and indeed, this is probably mandated in the agreements they have with content providers.

So what they haven’t found worth the effort, it would seem, is to use anything other than a very broad-brush approach to detecting any sort of screen-scraping going on, which means what you are doing is caught in the net, even though it isn’t capturing any NowTV video.

It might be worth you letting them know all this via email support, though, with such technical details as will allow NowTV to refine their approach here.

But anyway, how come you are enjoying yourself watching NowTV when you are supposed to be working? Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Roy thanks for the answer, I couldn't find how to directly message NowTV hence my forum posts, I've now emailed them directly via your link.

But anyway, how come you are enjoying yourself watching NowTV when you are supposed to be working? Smiley Tongue

Perks of being self employed and working from home! I have to be careful what I watch though otherwise I get drawn in and the work stops! old westerns are perfect with their slower pace.

RoyB
Legend

Heh heh, me too! 

I can’t watch things and work at the same time, and find that even music new to me is too distracting, but music I know is fine.

I have an iMac here, mainly to shame the Wintel laptops I must needs earn my crust on, though I have never tried NowTV on it.

I really must, to get an idea of what Mac users are suffering.

(Muses) Now, which of my current six ‘devices’ will I miss the least while I try this?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.