cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV windows App

Hello all,

I writing this post regarding my now tv experiences so far and asking for some insight

I rarely watch tv on anything other than my second monitor as i play a big mmo and have that running 24/7. I also use google to educate myself with various computing techniques.I built this pc myself and it has 4.4gig octacore cpu, 32gig of ram, ssd's, 2x r9 280's in crossfire etc etc and has handle everything ive thrown at it without breaking a sweat.

I have downgraded my expensive virgin package to just broadband and wanted a cheep alternative with Fox, Syfy and sky one mainly so enter Now TV.

As i use chrome for browsing ect, i had to install the windows app. This stuttered a lot and even effected my game so it had to go. This never happens with netflix in chrome nor did it happen with the virgin website which only worked in edge.

Then i read i could watch now TV in IE 11 or any version with silverlight so thats what i did and it was good for a while. Two days ago i tried to log in and start now TV in IE and it insisted i installed the app again.

I gave it another go and it was a bit better than before but not ideal and as i could border the app, to drag it to the second monitor i tried it out. After a while the stuttering would start again randomly and i would have to restart the app again.

I also read it works, or did work in firefox, does it still?

Why does changing browser or to the app count a a device change?

I have used all my changes up trying to get a decent tv experience on my pc.

The android apps on my tablet and phone work fine and connect and control my main TV's chromecast great.

I have also ordered a Now TV stick for my bedroom tv, but i think i should have bought another chromecast so atleast i could stream netflix to it when needed.

Again, will this count as another device change?

! think i should have the 4 original ones reset as they were only used trying to get something watchable working.

I hope i can find a decent way to watch Now TV on my pc as there is not a lot of alternatives that don't involve hackin or going on dodgy pop up websites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Watching in a browser, using the NOW TV Player helper app and using the Windows Store app all count as separate devices (that's just the way NOW TV is set up to identify your PC) so once you've decided on the best method for you its best to stick with it (reports on the forum that people are being made to download the Player in IE11 so NOW TV may be trying to phase out Silverlight support which will have to happen at some point soon). Watching with Silverlight in Firefox is no longer supported, the Player is needed.

If you are using Windows 8.1/10 then the other alternative is to download the dedicated NOW TV app from the Windows Store and use that to watch

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/now-tv/9wzdncrdm157

Sounds like you need a device reset. Have a word with Live Chat, explain what's happened and see if they can sort something out for you as a courtesy.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply.

I know the device listings that Now TV uses are the same on many sites and virgin has something similar. The thing was they said from the start that their website only worked with the Edge web browser and it did straight off so no problems there. 

At the time of writing i cannot watch Now TV. I'm killing high level mobs for a guild quest in my mmorpg and i have disconnected several times in game so have had to close the App.

The App was the one from the official windows store. It had quite a bad rating there but worked a bit better for me than the one downloaded from Now TV.

Lucky i have Netflix.

I will keep trying to find a suitable way to watch on my pc as this is the primary way i watch any TV or Films.

If or when i find a solution or decide its a pointless exercise i will post again. 

Thanks.