cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV tring to run via app instead of browser

I've been happily running NowTV via Windows 10/IE11/Silverlight for months. Suddenly it is now trying to force me to use App - something has changed in last few days but I can't determine what. Silverlight still there and enabled. I have a 2nd PC also running Windows 10/IE11/Silverlight and that still works via browser. I sign into NowTV, access MyTV, select program to watch then get a message from IE saying 'Do you want to allow this website to open an app on your computer' (i.e. now taking you down the route of installing/using Now TV Player). Other computer does not bring up this message and works straight from browser. Reinstalled Silverlight, cleared cache - same problem. I definitely want to keep running from browser....................... Any ideas anyone ?

46 REPLIES 46
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D

It does not work. Not on windows 10.

I have just tried. I am so fed up with all this,what a crap company is this? 4 weeks and counting and nobody does anything to sort it out.

I have unisntalled and reinstalled everything including the video guard

I want a refund for my passes. No reason why I should pay for not being able to use the service

My next actions are going to report Now TV to consumers watchdogs and to what ever ombudsman is relevant. THis has lasted long enough

@Tony-Dwrote:

@Anonymous Userwrote:

Ok, an update. Today, I managed to get the Now TV player to work on my Windows 7 pc using IE11, Chrome, and Firefox.  I'll skip over the quality of the playback - it seems to take a long time to achieve full resolution even though I've got a pretty fast and uncontested (fibre) broadband connection - and focus on how I got it to work.

Firstly, the .exe that I downloaded today had a slightly different name to previous attempts (it included the word "full" in the name) despite being the same size as recent downloads. I got it by installing an older version of the player and trying to start watching something. This resulted in a prompt to "click here to install the latest version". After downloading it, and uninstalling everything as below, I installed the new version with administrator privileges, in case it tried to write in places where my user account can't go. I also made sure to click the "I've already got this" button the second time through. And it worked. So maybe a fix has been worked out.

However, I had also noticed that, even after uninstalling previous Now TV Player installations I had multiple versions of the cisco video guard software still installed on my system. I removed all (three) of them, and the previous Now TV player with an uninstaller that also hunts down and deletes all the left over crap including files and registry entries. (I use IOBIT Uninstaller but other products are available.) Previous experience suggests that installing a new version of anything on top of an existing one isn't a great idea. It isn't helpful that when you uninstall the player you don't also uninstall the videoguard, or at least get a prompt to do so, since the new install just goes ahead and tries to overwrite the existing one.

Anyway, today at least it is working. Yeah.

Thank you so much @Anonymous User for taking the time to explain your own solution 🙂 Perfect timing as i am passing back feedback to the dev team directly over the few days and hopefully we can get something sorted asap. Thanks again.

Sorry @Anonymous User I was off for the weekend, well, til Sunday (today).

I am waiting for the update myself and, can you please PM me to see what we can do about your passes etc.

Thanks,

TONY-D

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah, couldn't get the workaround to work for me either...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not sure what Tony D actually does except for repeatedly saying, " i'll feed it back to the development team"

I've been watching NowTV on my laptop via Chrome browser.  Now telling me I have to download the app, fine , so i did just that. NowTV thinks the App is another device so I'm in the postion where I have to wait to delete my laptop and re-register it at the end of the month. Please explain why this is happened. Oh and btw the App isn't as user friendly as the browser.

Don't get these issues with Netflix.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Not sure what Tony D actually does except for repeatedly saying, " i'll feed it back to the development team"

I've been watching NowTV on my laptop via Chrome browser.  Now telling me I have to download the app, fine , so i did just that. NowTV thinks the App is another device so I'm in the postion where I have to wait to delete my laptop and re-register it at the end of the month. Please explain why this is happened. Oh and btw the App isn't as user friendly as the browser.

Don't get these issues with Netflix.

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User I can only tell of information that i have been given. Belive me i want this sorted as quickly as you guys do as i watch NOW Tv Exclusively on browser. It seemed to work for me this weekend while i was off and i was hoping it was fixed while i had been out of office for a few days. Have you guys saw any improvement in the last few days (at least using the NOW TV player)  @Anonymous User I'll sort your device issues now in 2 secs. Sorry guys but i can't respond to the forum when i'm off as it's a data breach so i can't even log in to check.

Edit: @Anonymous User I've given you more changes so you can register another device if needs be.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's not getting better, if anything it's getting worse. I've been trying to watch Anchorman but have given it up now, every 2 mionutes the player falls over. This has now spread to watching programmes. I've tried switching to Edge as my browser, and re-installig the app again. The player is now essentially unwatchable.

My issues seem to centre on JavaScript errors, but some only warrant a "something went wrong" message.

If this isn't resolved by a competent software architect quickly I'm going to want a full refund on the 12 months I paid for in November. As it is, I believe we should be entitled to some form of financial compensation anyway. I will probably see what OffCom has to say on the matter. It's extremely lazy of Sky to expect other customers to solve issues that Sky should be sorting out - anyone could be forgiven thinking that Sky don't actually give a ######.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Consumer Advisory Service is on 03454040506. they aren't open today as it's a bank holiday, but that is the organisation the Trading Standards website says should be the route to raise a complaint. OffCom only deal with content.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just contacted Radio 4s You and Yours consumer programme.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sadly, still nothing working here. Every time I try to use the NowTV app, it pops up an empty purple box.

Tried Explorer, Chrome, Firefox...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunatrely, despite my earlier success in getting the player to work, it was  short lived. I too now only get an empty purple box, or occasionally a dialogue box with Java error messages, but definitely no TV. I can watch on my phone, or my TV, but not on my PC. None of my earlier "work arounds" work any more.

I agree with the calls for refunds. At the very least, anyone with a PC or laptop as a registered device should be given free extra device slots so they can move to another machine while waiting for this problem to be fixed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi there and thanks,
I'll try when I have time off work.  Funny though it comes from a viewer and not from NowTV team.
Cheers