cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV tring to run via app instead of browser

I've been happily running NowTV via Windows 10/IE11/Silverlight for months. Suddenly it is now trying to force me to use App - something has changed in last few days but I can't determine what. Silverlight still there and enabled. I have a 2nd PC also running Windows 10/IE11/Silverlight and that still works via browser. I sign into NowTV, access MyTV, select program to watch then get a message from IE saying 'Do you want to allow this website to open an app on your computer' (i.e. now taking you down the route of installing/using Now TV Player). Other computer does not bring up this message and works straight from browser. Reinstalled Silverlight, cleared cache - same problem. I definitely want to keep running from browser....................... Any ideas anyone ?

46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Tony-D have there been any updates?

Thanks 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D

THe message below, said you would keep us updated, and that was on the 13/03. THis is the 16/03. Any news yet?

THe issue started at the begining of this month.

How come there is no pinned post on the front page of this forum but there is one for mobile viewers?

Are you really doing something to sort this out?

@Tony-Dwrote:

@Anonymous Userwrote:

@Tony-D I just thought - you said that the Development team are working on improving the NowTV player - that includes streaming through browsers right?

Well see, it's the whole silverlight no longer being supoorted thing that is stumping development and they are just trying to figure out the best way of implementing a better way to watch. Browser watching, without the need for silverlight is viable it's just what we decide to do really. This week i should have a lot more updates anyway and i've been passing my own personal feedback on the situation too @Anonymous User 🙂

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User and everyone else. Still awaiting updates on this as of today. Will keep updating this even if i know nothing so you know i haven't forgot.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Roguexuk

I don't think they give a xxxx.

THe previous system should have been reinstated, so that customers ( we are payingfor a service that is no longer provided) can actually use the service.

They haven't.

There is no pinned post on the front page of these threads, there is one for mobile streaming though.

that shows they are not interested.

@Anonymous Userwrote:

@Tony-D I just thought - you said that the Development team are working on improving the NowTV player - that includes streaming through browsers right?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Me too.

It is all browsers on my Windows 7 PC (IE11, Firefox, Chrome), and every time I get as far as the player trying to start and then stopping with error code 7007.  Nothing makes any difference: reinstalling, deleting cookies, deleting registry entries, permitting pop-ups, denying pop-ups, turning off the fire wall, virus detection and antu-malware. Removing deviceds doesn't help either. I've used up 2 swaps trying to get things working, to noi avail. Live chat has been no help at all - is it ever??

It used to work fine.- I could stream inside IE11 or through the Player when using Chrome. Now nothing works. My iPhone is fine, and I have a NowTV box as well but I haven't used that in a while.

I would prefer to stream inside a browser, but really all I want is for this to work, and to have some confidence that someone is trying to fix it when it doesn't.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

For a few weeks now I've been unable to stream Now TV. Downloaded the app, just get a big blank purple box, no pic, no sound, nothing. Silverlight is all up-to-date on my PC, and I'm running Windows 7.

Any help / updates?

Thansk.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Hi guys, i will have an update tomorrow on the future of NOW TV via browser tomorrow. I'll post it here on this thread as soon as i get it 🙂 Don't worry its not bad news.

Eidt: Sorry @Anonymous User I'm was off for a few days then off again for Paddys Day but i'm back in now on the case again. Update tomorrow 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-DOn the 20/03 , You mentioned an update on the future of NowTW on the browser 'tomorrow', but I can't see a message from NowTv yet, we are on the 24th.

A viewer's workaround is no NowTV patch. Can  you please, inform us

No news

Typical

@Tony-Dwrote:

Hi guys, i will have an update tomorrow on the future of NOW TV via browser tomorrow. I'll post it here on this thread as soon as i get it 🙂 Don't worry its not bad news.

Eidt: Sorry @Anonymous User I'm was off for a few days then off again for Paddys Day but i'm back in now on the case again. Update tomorrow 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, an update. Today, I managed to get the Now TV player to work on my Windows 7 pc using IE11, Chrome, and Firefox.  I'll skip over the quality of the playback - it seems to take a long time to achieve full resolution even though I've got a pretty fast and uncontested (fibre) broadband connection - and focus on how I got it to work.

Firstly, the .exe that I downloaded today had a slightly different name to previous attempts (it included the word "full" in the name) despite being the same size as recent downloads. I got it by installing an older version of the player and trying to start watching something. This resulted in a prompt to "click here to install the latest version". After downloading it, and uninstalling everything as below, I installed the new version with administrator privileges, in case it tried to write in places where my user account can't go. I also made sure to click the "I've already got this" button the second time through. And it worked. So maybe a fix has been worked out.

However, I had also noticed that, even after uninstalling previous Now TV Player installations I had multiple versions of the cisco video guard software still installed on my system. I removed all (three) of them, and the previous Now TV player with an uninstaller that also hunts down and deletes all the left over crap including files and registry entries. (I use IOBIT Uninstaller but other products are available.) Previous experience suggests that installing a new version of anything on top of an existing one isn't a great idea. It isn't helpful that when you uninstall the player you don't also uninstall the videoguard, or at least get a prompt to do so, since the new install just goes ahead and tries to overwrite the existing one.

Anyway, today at least it is working. Yeah.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Ok, an update. Today, I managed to get the Now TV player to work on my Windows 7 pc using IE11, Chrome, and Firefox.  I'll skip over the quality of the playback - it seems to take a long time to achieve full resolution even though I've got a pretty fast and uncontested (fibre) broadband connection - and focus on how I got it to work.

Firstly, the .exe that I downloaded today had a slightly different name to previous attempts (it included the word "full" in the name) despite being the same size as recent downloads. I got it by installing an older version of the player and trying to start watching something. This resulted in a prompt to "click here to install the latest version". After downloading it, and uninstalling everything as below, I installed the new version with administrator privileges, in case it tried to write in places where my user account can't go. I also made sure to click the "I've already got this" button the second time through. And it worked. So maybe a fix has been worked out.

However, I had also noticed that, even after uninstalling previous Now TV Player installations I had multiple versions of the cisco video guard software still installed on my system. I removed all (three) of them, and the previous Now TV player with an uninstaller that also hunts down and deletes all the left over crap including files and registry entries. (I use IOBIT Uninstaller but other products are available.) Previous experience suggests that installing a new version of anything on top of an existing one isn't a great idea. It isn't helpful that when you uninstall the player you don't also uninstall the videoguard, or at least get a prompt to do so, since the new install just goes ahead and tries to overwrite the existing one.

Thank you so much @Anonymous User for taking the time to explain your own solution 🙂 Perfect timing as i am passing back feedback to the dev team directly over the few days and hopefully we can get something sorted asap. Thanks again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D

It does not work. Not on windows 10.

I have just tried. I am so fed up with all this,what a crap company is this? 4 weeks and counting and nobody does anything to sort it out.

I have unisntalled and reinstalled everything including the video guard

I want a refund for my passes. No reason why I should pay for not being able to use the service

My next actions are going to report Now TV to consumers watchdogs and to what ever ombudsman is relevant. THis has lasted long enough

@Tony-Dwrote:

@Anonymous Userwrote:

Thank you so much @Anonymous User for taking the time to explain your own solution 🙂 Perfect timing as i am passing back feedback to the dev team directly over the few days and hopefully we can get something sorted asap. Thanks again.