cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV player app stuttering (windows 10)

Hi I joined now tv today (taking advantage of the 3 months for 1 month deal) and the service is forcing me to download an app to play the shows, however the app is not working right.
Films are stuttering, freezing and at times becoming a slide show. 
with the same laptop and connection I have no issues with HD netflix and Amazon video (or plex) all of wich run in the browser just fine.

I really like the selection of movies you have but....well i need to be able to watch them! so how do I force it to play through the browser (assuming the app is the issue and not the service)?

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you are using Windows 10, have you tried the dedicated NowTV App from the Microsoft Store which is different to the nowtv player,

Might work better for you than the nowtv player ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/now-tv/9wzdncrdm157

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnappswrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

If you are using Windows 10, have you tried the dedicated NowTV App from the Microsoft Store which is different to the nowtv player,

Might work better for you than the nowtv player ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/now-tv/9wzdncrdm157

despite the multiple bad ratings the app has on the store that does seem better (though I have only tried it for a couple of minutes, will try more in a second) 
Unrelated to the stuttering but do you know how to enable subtitles on the app? 

EDIT: The app does seem to be playing at really low resolution (i would say even 360p) it was ok to start with.

The connection I am using is a 4g one (just did a speed test and 40mb down 20mb up (my home network gets around 290 down 12 up from the same app so that is a good connection for 4g))

Got a horrible feeling I have wasted a tenner, not the end of the world but I really expected this to be the same quality as netflix given its part of Sky

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't use a PC myself for watching nowtv, but i believe at the moment there is no option for subtitles on the Microsoft Store App Smiley Sad

According to this help article i can't see any options for subtitles on the PC at all (might be wrong though, where i don't use a PC sorry).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-with-subtitles

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnappswrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't use a PC myself for watching nowtv, but i believe at the moment there is no option for subtitles on the Microsoft Store App Smiley Sad

According to this help article i can't see any options for subtitles on the PC at all (might be wrong though, where i don't use a PC sorry).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-with-subtitles

Thats bizarre, I figured I just needed to know a key combo or maybe a setting somewhere. but cheers for the link. Will likely use the xbox when at home but at work I am limited to the laptop and I have to have it low (I am watching cameras, listening for sounds of trouble etc) so subs help to see at a quick glance what was said. 
Good to see community support is fast.

To NowTV
So far my first impressions of NowTV are not good, the content is impressive but a good working player is paramount and to not have subtitles on all shows is something I thought was a requirement, feel sorry for any deaf/hearing impaired people that want to use the service.  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Just noticed your edit in the post, sorry to hear that the Microsoft Store NowTV App is no better than the nowtv player.

I would suggest Silverlight with IE11, but reading the forum it seems that Silverlight users are currently being forced to use the nowtv player (nowtv haven't confirmed yet if customers can still use Silverlight in the short term future).

The only thing i can suggest unless somebody on here can offer you some further assistance or help is to contact live chat.

Here's a link page to live chat if you wish to contact them (click on the drop down arrow below Anything else to reveal the live chat button).

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just bought a new laptop. Before this I was using another laptop to watch and had no issues with that laptop. I'm currently experienceing a lot of stuttering when watching in the now tv player from the Chrome browser. 

Have googled this a few times in the past few days and have tried the solution of IE11 with silverlight but this did not let me watch in browser - had to watch through the player which was stuttering again.

I've reached my limit of devices and can't download the now tv windows app until next month but have seen that the app still causes issues for some. Is there anything I can do to stop the stuttering?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same stuttering but only started with the new nowtv player on windows 10. Watching the Wales/Finland game and froze 3 times already. No problem on ipads so this is a windows 10 problem which nowtv need to solve before they lose customers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My laptop player also stuttering today so did system restore to 16 November and now fine. Windows update a few days ago has caused the problem I think for Nowtv player and Windows default player. Hope this is of help.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nowtv player still stuttering today but laptop default player perfect. Obviously the nowtv player is now not fit for purpose on windows 10 but fine on iOS tablets. Let’s hope the nowtv player for windows10 is repaired fast so that people can watch on laptops..