cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV app - no sound through Bluetooth speaker

OK, so I downloaded the new Now TV player app last week after being prompted about the withdrawal of Silverlight support, and once I got past the issue of having to register my Mac as a new device, I got the player working. However, the app won't consistently route the sound to other speakers. I've got a Mac Mini 2014 hooked up to an AOC monitor, and when I want to watch something on a streaming service, I normally turn on my Bose Sounlink Mini II Bluetooth speaker to get better sound. 

However, when I switch on the speaker while the Now TV Player app is running, it does not reroute the sound through the Bluetooth speaker and carries on playing through the internal speaker. If I start the app while the speaker is on, it does play through the speaker but only for a while, and then reverts back to output through the internal speaker. It doesn't matter what system setting I use, it won't consistently use any speaker other than the internal one. It won't even route the sound through the HDMI cable to the monitor's speakers, despite everything else in the system behaving in the manner I chose. 

Is this a known bug? What kind of API calls is the software making that are routing around the built-in audio system, and why? This isn't really acceptable behaviour, and I can't go back to Silverlight because, apart from it being deprecated, I'd lose out on the number of switches I'd get.

As an aside, I'm also annoyed that the app installs into the user applications folder and not the system one. My 10-year-old son also uses the computer but on his own account so that he doens't mess up my personal space, but the DRM scheme won't recognize it as the same system or even the same app. And I can't set my Mac up as two of my devices as I've already got three others named. 

I'm not impressed.

63 REPLIES 63
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem. Please fix!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue - HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN RESOLVED YET IN 2018???

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem here.

Sound works perfectly via bluetooth on OSX for all streaming services (eg, YouTube on Chrome, iTunes) apart from when streaming on the NowTV app.

Poor form that this issue was raised a year ago and the Sky reps stopped bothering responding to the thread, and that this has not been fixed!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

seriously, no fix for this after all this time? not good!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yup same here. Page one and "it's not a known issue, maybe it's you, not us" was a year ago. I'm on a one month trial. Movies without sound are not very appealing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same thing happens to me - even when everything on my mac plays through my chosen audio output, the NOWTV app still plays through my internal speaker. Good thing there's a 14-day trial so I can cancel and go back to Netflix where I can have the audio go where I want without it completely disregarding my chosen settings. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This happens to me too.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This has been an ongoing issue for me for about 2 years now and it is quite infuriating. Nothing seems to have been done. I've spent £8 and cannot watch the game through my TV and instead have to listen through mac speakers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all,

I believe I've solved this issue - it's a bodge, but it works fine and doesn't require downloading any new software. Essentially, you go through the steps outlined in this tutorial (https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/48534/is-it-possible-to-play-sound-through-both-the-headph...), but instead of selecting both the 'built in audio' option and the external speakers option in Audio Midi Setup, only select the external speakers option. So in the example used in that link, you'd only select the box next to 'Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000'.

Then continue on with the instructions, going through System Preferences/Sound and so on.

And once you've done that, you should be able to open Now TV player and have the audio play through those external speakers. I have found that I need to open the Now TV player *after* I've set up that whole audio bodge, otherwise it doesn't take.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still no resololution.....This is really unacceptable!!!