cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badgerhead27
Advocate

Re: Now TV Player not working

Thank you so much for this- I have used Bitdefender for some years and the NOW TV app. All of a sudden the latter stopped working - the NOW TV app opened but didn't prompt me to go to the web to choose a program. I contacted the helpdesk who tried to reset my account.

I got disconnected but thought I would reset my PC which I did. It worked until I installed bitdefender so clearly that was the problem. Bizarrely, using the NOW TV app whilst I reinstalled bitdefender allowed me to use it until I restarted the PC.

Adding the exception to the Advanced Threat Detection worked a treat 😀

Tomreid
Advocate

Thanks for this excellent explanation and fix. Shame neither Now TV or Bitdefender are fixing it. Took me a bit of work but it is working now. Think you do need a bit of knowledge of how computers work to do this so its a shame a lot of people may be unable to use Now TV on PC due to a problem like this.

0 Thanks
RoyB
Legend

@badgerhead27 

Software, especially stuff that pokes about in the innards of your PC like Bitdefender, can’t always run on installation, as it wants to hook or modify processes that are currently running.

So while the install establishes the software on your PC, it needs the reboot in order to insinuate itself into your process tree as your existing processes start up.

Its not really fully installed until the reboot, just downloaded and pending.

Line 3. Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out…..
RoyB
Legend

@Tomreid 

What should Now do? It’s Bitdefective which has something it needs to fix.

And BitDefective know their software does this, and not just with Now, apparently, as they have to publish this:-

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2393/

If I cared enough about their software to use it, and if I recognised as legitimate its inability to tell virus-like behaviour from virus behaviour, I would be wondering why the stupid software couldn’t clearly report exactly and precisely what software it had an issue with, instead of just crashing it or being crashed by it.

And even if it does crash, it could still report the issue on recovery.

That it doesn’t is the inexcusable thing that BitDefective need to fix ASAP, and creates the situation you describe where it’s complicated to use it, and even worse if you don’t know what’s doing it 😢

Line 3. Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out…..
0 Thanks