cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Player not working

Hello,

Since the 26th September I've been having a problem with the Now TV player. At the moment when I click to watch something the Now TV player loads up for a few seconds and then disappears. For a few days prior to this when I was watching something the video would stop and then I'd have to load the player again until it just stopped playing anything.

I'm using the Now TV on a laptop and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the player about six times and I still have the same issue. I've deleted the cookies on my computer, reset my router and restored my computer to an earlier date to see if any of that might help but it hasn't. Is there a way I can fix this?

Best wishes,
Jamie

53 REPLIES 53
Tomreid
Advocate

Thanks for this excellent explanation and fix. Shame neither Now TV or Bitdefender are fixing it. Took me a bit of work but it is working now. Think you do need a bit of knowledge of how computers work to do this so its a shame a lot of people may be unable to use Now TV on PC due to a problem like this.

RoyB
Legend

@Tomreid 

What should Now do? It’s Bitdefective which has something it needs to fix.

And BitDefective know their software does this, and not just with Now, apparently, as they have to publish this:-

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2393/

If I cared enough about their software to use it, and if I recognised as legitimate its inability to tell virus-like behaviour from virus behaviour, I would be wondering why the stupid software couldn’t clearly report exactly and precisely what software it had an issue with, instead of just crashing it or being crashed by it.

And even if it does crash, it could still report the issue on recovery.

That it doesn’t is the inexcusable thing that BitDefective need to fix ASAP, and creates the situation you describe where it’s complicated to use it, and even worse if you don’t know what’s doing it 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much for this- I have used Bitdefender for some years and the NOW TV app. All of a sudden the latter stopped working - the NOW TV app opened but didn't prompt me to go to the web to choose a program. I contacted the helpdesk who tried to reset my account.

I got disconnected but thought I would reset my PC which I did. It worked until I installed bitdefender so clearly that was the problem. Bizarrely, using the NOW TV app whilst I reinstalled bitdefender allowed me to use it until I restarted the PC.

Adding the exception to the Advanced Threat Detection worked a treat 😀

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Software, especially stuff that pokes about in the innards of your PC like Bitdefender, can’t always run on installation, as it wants to hook or modify processes that are currently running.

So while the install establishes the software on your PC, it needs the reboot in order to insinuate itself into your process tree as your existing processes start up.

Its not really fully installed until the reboot, just downloaded and pending.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

OMG this has been driving me crazy for days....finally sorted now by adding advanced threat defence exception to Bitdefender using the Bitdefender instructions here. I had to go looking for the exe file in the roaming folder...mine was under the NowTV folder (as opposed to the NowTV Player folder).

Thanks to everyone on this forum for your help as my NowTV tech support 'rest assured we will get this sorted for you' has been silent!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks ! 

So it looks like after yesterday's update, my antivirus got my nowtv  . 

Thank you for the solution, exception added in bitdefender => problem sorted !!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem on mac. Watched a movie yesterday, no problem. Went to watch the F1 today, won't work. Says error and I'm using too many devices. I only use my mac and iphone. Reinstalled it, deleted cookies, still won't work. Looked in my account and it only lists mac, iphone and roku (whatever that is). Any ideas anyone?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Roku is a smart stick
redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User You are aware of the device limit? You absolutely need to back out of and shut down any device you are using before attempting to view on another one. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @redchiz1 

…..unless you have Boost, with which you can watch on 3 devices at once.