cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Player not working

Hello,

Since the 26th September I've been having a problem with the Now TV player. At the moment when I click to watch something the Now TV player loads up for a few seconds and then disappears. For a few days prior to this when I was watching something the video would stop and then I'd have to load the player again until it just stopped playing anything.

I'm using the Now TV on a laptop and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the player about six times and I still have the same issue. I've deleted the cookies on my computer, reset my router and restored my computer to an earlier date to see if any of that might help but it hasn't. Is there a way I can fix this?

Best wishes,
Jamie

53 REPLIES 53
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem every time I've tried to use Now TV Player. Not worth the bother, and no sign of any intention to fix their rubbish software. Plenty of other places to watch TV - I won't be bothering again

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This needs escalating.

For people that are paying for a service they cannot receive, I suggest to contact the ombudsmen.

In the past when i have complained and companies have done nothing, then file a complaint with the ombudsmen, then all of a sudden the company actually does something about it.

At the very least you should be getting your money back.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks

I got it sorted thanks to following instructions given by other posters
regarding deletion of cookies, etc. It was my PC, however, do agree that
this info should be available from NOW themselves and not be going via
community page as it is a regular occurrence.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Disable your antivirus application 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Finally, after trying all the delete folders and re-installations of NowPlayer. Adding an exemption to BitDefender for the NowTVPlayer.exe it loaded.

Thank you!

Deggsy12222
Mentor

My nowtv player has also stopped working since I installed bitdefender.  I have added an exemption but it's still not working!  What exactly should I enter?  I put in NowTvPlayer.exe.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I added an advanced threat defence exemption to NowPlayer.exe

(See https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/answer/2393/)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This fixed the problem for me - thank you.

Note that you don't need to omit scanning entire folders, as some community members seem to have done, you just need to put an exception for Now TV player in Bitdefender's Advanced Threat Defense.

You'll need to run Bitdefender with admin rights to add the exception.  When adding it, it seems best to use the facility provided to browse for the exe, which is in the folder...

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\NOW TV\NOW TV Player

Why Bitdefender's advanced threat defense doesn't like the Now TV Player exe is anyone's guess.  I haven't had this problem with any other executable since installing Bitdefender.  Doubtless Now TV and Bitdefender would blame each other.

Finally, note that before I fixed this I wasn't getting a helpful message anywhere.  I just got this in Windows event viewer...

Faulting application name: NOW TV Player.exe, version: 8.7.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ba8f866
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x82dc99a2
Exception code: 0xc0000409

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I suggest you report it as a false positive to Bitdefender and see what they say.

The Now Player does check quite aggressively for software that might be trying to capture the stream, and perhaps Bitdefender thinks this is too virus-like in the way it works.

But having said that, neither Avast! nor Windows Defender nor Malwarebytes fault Now on my Windows 10 PC.

Or you could get the offending file(s) checked by nearly 60 virus engines, including Bitdefender, with a single free online submission to :-

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

and see what else might fault it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi RoyB,

I was minded to report this to both Now TV and Bitdefender, but as I said in my previous post, I’m not confident of a helpful response. Bitdefender is NOT reporting that the Now TV Player executable is infected, neither is it reporting that the exe falls foul of Bitdefender’s “Advanced Threat Defense” feature. As far as Bitdefender is concerned, everything’s fine.

I think your comments about Now TV Player are a good indication of what’s going on here. It looks like the Player doesn’t like the behaviour of Bitdefender’s ATD, but rather than displaying a helpful message, it’s just crashing.

On that basis I’d like to see the Player’s error handling code improved, but I think both organisations, if pressed, would just tell me to take the action I’ve already taken.

For the benefit of anyone still suffering with this issue, that means making the Player an exception in Bitdefender BUT doing so in its Advanced Threat Defense checking only in the way I described in my earlier post, and leaving its anti-virus checking unchanged.