cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Player Serious Issues with Mac

I have been using Now TV for around 3 weeks now and i am having serious issues with the Now TV player when watching Now TV programs. 

There is some very serious buffering, audio stops, scenes jumping back and forth and picture freezing.

It's basically impossible to watch anything.

Until a couple of days ago i could at least play programs using Silevrlight player when using Safari (with no issues whatsoever) but now even Safari asks for the Now Tv Player, the same as Chrome and Firefox have always done since the beginning.

I have been checking NOW TV articles about using the NOW TV player with a Mac, done all the troubleshooting for all 3 main browsers, my broadband speed is definitely fast enough not to get buffering etc

The whole thing is extremply frustrating and I really hope that NOW TV player can be fixed to work properly on Mac very soon 😞

Anyone got any feedback please?

48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm also experiencing issues with this (forced to use) Now TV Player. Everything used to be fine but now on my iMac the app keeps crashing (and yes I've reinstalled, rebooted, pointed the Mac to magnetic north etc etc...). Is there a way to go back to the old system where the player wasnt involved?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The new NOW TV Player will not work on my MacBook. I have tried all the fixes no go. I have contacted Apple about the error f20000. They say it's not my Mac it is the Now Player software. 

IAM NOT HAPPY Smiley Frustrated

The help contact with NOW was most unhelpful. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agreed to all the above. The app is an utter pile of rubbish. All I get is sound and no picture. If I can't go back to just using Safari I will cancel my subscription. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah I have these issues as well. I have a very recent macbook (so no issues with performance) and high speed internet so no bandwidth restrictions. This would indicate that the NowTV macOS app is highly buggy/unoptimised. 

There's virtually no excuse for this. You're owned by Sky, kindly throw money at some half decent coders and sort this out. The Playstation app, NowTV box, and iPad app work perfectly. Alternatively, if you could just reinstate the perfectly functional browser streaming that preceded this monstrosity of an app I'd be equally happy. Pretty much any solution that results in the streaming service I pay for being able to stream video would elevate this from below the bare minimum for a streaming service.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah I have these issues as well. I have a very recent macbook (so no issues with performance) and high speed internet so no bandwidth restrictions. This would indicate that the NowTV macOS app is highly buggy/unoptimised. 

There's virtually no excuse for this. You're owned by Sky, kindly throw money at some half decent coders and sort this out. The Playstation app, NowTV box, and iPad app work perfectly. Alternatively, if you could just reinstate the perfectly functional browser streaming that preceded this monstrosity of an app I'd be equally happy. Pretty much any solution that results in the streaming service I pay for being able to stream video would elevate this from below the bare minimum for a streaming service.

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Hi there welcome to the fourm, the issues you are experiencing with the MAC is under investigation as for safari and chrome and firefox, those browsers are not supported so you may experience issues streaming nowtv on them, 

Here are some troubleshooting steps for the nowtv box that may help: 

Reduce the number devices in use in the home.
Stop any large downloads on going
restart the nowtv box, or exit and return to the app.
Change the amount of 'bits' of data ( the techie term is bitrate): Press these buttons quickly on your remote control:
1. HOME x5
2.REWIND X3
3. FAST FORWARD X2

youl see a screen with variou bitrate options, just select 'Automatic' and try watching your programme again.

Thanks, The Nowtv Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

May i ask why you are replying about troubleshooting for the Now TV box which clearly isn't what we are having the issue with here?

I don't have a NOW TV box, I have a Mac Book Pro and i cannot watch NOW TV using my laptop anymore due to the fact that the NOW TV player seems to have an incompatibility issue with Mac computers and that no browser streaming isn't allowed anymore when watching NOW TV.

I would very much appreciate some feedback from you that's a bit less generic than what you just posted.

thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yip. i have the same issue. The new Now TV player is pants. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

well said..they are prob a bot as they never even read what was said..christ they can't even read what the name of the thread is! Smiley Indifferent 

I do have a now TV box as well but the issue ISN'T WITH THAT...IT'S WITH THE MAC APP..as for saying, they don't support Safari, Firefox or Chrome..then I suggest you sack your CTO because if you are going to support the mac they haven't got a clue what they are doing. No one uses IE for Mac, it hasn't been supported or developed for 14 years!!

They need to go back and let us run safari/silverlight and either develop/deliver an HTML5 stream or sort the app but not before the bloody thing works. I am cancelling my subscription today.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

2020 And the player still sucks, picture randomly freezes whilst sound continues, click back a few seconds on the progress bar and works again. It's always been rubbish and I've installed newer versions over the years.