cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not compatible with Chrome OS

Good afternoon.

I just signed up to a 7 day trial with Now TV based on the TV app, I'm already a Sky customer with the full package at Home.

Anyway, I just got an email saying the Entertainment pass is activated on the 7 day trial, but I am using the Google Chrome browser on Chrome OS and it says it's not compatible?!

I would therefore like to cancel the 7 day trial immediately because I obviously can't use it due to browser and OS incompatibility.

I downloaded the app on my Android phone, but that probably doesn't work either.

• PC
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you are using a Chromebook then i believe this device is not currently supported by NowTV.

Your Android phone should work with the NowTV App from the Play Store as long has the phone is  UK spec and not rooted.

Here's a guide on what devices you can use whilst watching NowTV.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

To cancel your 7 day trial or pass go to the NowTV website and select My Account > Passes & Vouchers where you should see a cancel button next to your pass.

When you cancel, make sure you follow all the steps on screen until you get the green thumbs up message that you have successfully cancelled a pass, then go back to Passes & Vouchers where it should show cancelled next to the pass.

You should also get an email notification that you have cancelled a pass on your account.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you are using a Chromebook then i believe this device is not currently supported by NowTV.

Your Android phone should work with the NowTV App from the Play Store as long has the phone is  UK spec and not rooted.

Here's a guide on what devices you can use whilst watching NowTV.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

To cancel your 7 day trial or pass go to the NowTV website and select My Account > Passes & Vouchers where you should see a cancel button next to your pass.

When you cancel, make sure you follow all the steps on screen until you get the green thumbs up message that you have successfully cancelled a pass, then go back to Passes & Vouchers where it should show cancelled next to the pass.

You should also get an email notification that you have cancelled a pass on your account.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The only issue with the response from Now TV to the question, is that the Now TV Android app used to work on Chrome OS and now just crashes when attempting to play any content.

Come on Now TV, Chrome OS is growing rapidly and customers want to be able to view content on any device,  just like Netflix and Amazon Prime allow through a browser.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The issue here is that NowTV distinguish between phones, tablets, PCs/laptops (Windows or Mac iOS), TVs, PVRs, and so on.

Whether they can have a mobile pass, download, cast, or whatever.

So NowTV have to be able to sniff the device and know what it is, to know what they will allow it to do. And I’m not sure they can tell this just from the information the devices provide; not without at least a lookup table from the About information on the device that will tell the NowTV software what it can and cannot do, which Player to download, and so on.

And while Android phones are supported, other Android devices and ChromeOS are not always. My Nexus tablet is OK; Lenovos have issues. And so on.

ChromeOS will have to reach a critical mass for NowTV to consider supporting it, and I guess it hasn’t yet.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just bought a newer Chromebook with Playstore app access but guess what - it still does not work and will not download the NOWTV app from Playstore. All the hype about compatibility with Chromebook and Playstore apps appears to be a con too. There is no way I can keep demanding to watch something live on TV when wifey wants to watch something different. Useless and getting worse.

swansearob
Scholar

The only way I've got NowTV to work on ChromeOS is with a chromebook that has android apps, then downloading nowtv from the play store, this is the setup I use however as it isn't officially supported I know it could stop working with the next update, but one year on it's still working.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah I'm not really a fan of the Chrome OS in general, but my Brother insists I stick to it because it's less hackable than Windows and doesn't get viruses apparently.

Although annoyingly I can't game on it, or use software I want to try out such as Unity and various video and image editing stuff.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My newer Chromebook with app access will not even download the app from playstore.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can't fine NOWTV in the play store. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Indeed. It's now 2021  and there is still no way to stream Now content on a Chromebook. As a long term Now subscriber I find this pathetic.