cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No audio/sound when connecting TV to MacBook via HDMI using NOW TV player

Hi, 

New to using NOW TV, using box at home to problems.  However been on holiday and connected to service on MacBook using the player and connected to TV via HDMI cable.  Everything but the audio streams over well, the sound remains on the internal MacBook speaker.  Can connect external speaker to Mac to better the sound quality but seems unecessary.  

Is audio via HDMI not supported by the now TV player app?  Seems a bit of an oversight if so... 

Thanks

Pete

8 REPLIES 8
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

... However been on holiday and connected to service on MacBook using the player and connected to TV via HDMI cable.  Everything but the audio streams over well, the sound remains on the internal MacBook speaker.  Can connect external speaker to Mac to better the sound quality but seems unecessary.  

Hi @Anonymous User,

If you went on holiday outside the UK, I'm surprised you were able to access the NOW TV service at all. As this is not permitted!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hi Pete,

I just signed up for NowTV. Same problem.

Tried HDMI to TV, tried wireless to tv, tried 3 screen mirror apps that include audio. Non of them worked. The screen mirror apps work for everything from youtube to netflix but blocked for NowTV.

Looks to me like NowTV are doing this intentionally to push people to buy the NowTV box. Major mistake and poor product delivery. If this does not get fixed, customers will naturally move to or stay with Netflix .... I have not seen any responces from NowTV support to the posts on MAC Audio HDMI questions which says it all ...... I paid for 3 months up front. Big mistake...

Only solition is to connect laptop headphones socket (hard wire) to a sound bar if you have one. Or bluetooth to a sound bar may also work. I am using hard wire. Beter sound quality than the laptop speakers but not ideal.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Max

You are probably just realising that Now TV are pretty strict on what devices can be used to display their services, that's why it always pay to do some "due diligence" before handing over your money.

Check out this URL to see what devices are allowed:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

Also note, if ever you come across an undocumented beneficial feature just be aware that Now TV will eventually zap anything that they do not officially sanction. 

UK (Victim of zapped useful function) Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same problem in Cornwall. Staying in a holiday rental, TV is not connected to the internet, so I use my macbook via HDMI to watch my NOW TV subscription. Picture OK but no sound. Sound is OK from youtube etc etc. It is just NOW TV that doesn't play sound. What do I do? I don't think Cornwall is counted as being outside the UK.....

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have you tried to delete and reinstall the NOW player?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I had tried reinstalling, switching off/on, all those kinds of things. I see a lot of people have this probem, and the solutions are variable. I did find a way to make it work - but without really understanding what was happening. I focused on treating the TV just as a screen, rather than as a component receiving and presumably processing pictures and sound. Going in to System Preferences - Diplays, if the TV is connected you get the option to 'Optimize for' - built-in display, or the TV. Also, with the TV connected, the menu bar in Displays includes the option 'Arrangement', and in there is a 'Mirror Display' option. With these all selected I got sound to accompany the picture I already had! Whoopee! Why these 'display' settings influence sound is unclear: with mouse-click management we have no idea of the layers of commands behind the scenes, and it is impossible to really know what is going on any more. A quick search reveals a widespread problem with picture+sound from laptops to TV via HDMI, and it seems the answer each time can be very individual.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Glad you found a work around for getting it to work!

Personally I don’t use my laptop for the NOW player, especially with how many issues I’ve seen it have across the forum.  

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
...and guess what, now it doesn't work again!
It is only being away from home with a TV without internet that leads me to use a macbook now.