cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV won't play on Windows 10

Just trying to play content from the NOW web store, but it needs the NOW TV Player.

This downloads and then installs fine, but when trying to run the Player, it just says not a valid Windows 32bit programme.

This is on an old Windows XP PC than runs my media.

I reinstalled MSFT Silverlight - no change.

I tried both Chrome and Firefox, but the problem is both try to launch the NO TV Player, and that won't run.  I've tried re-installing several  times, and the install works fine to the end each time, but won't run.

I could try the NOW TV App from MSFT... but I have to register (groan).

Solutions?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nobody supports Windows XP anymore, not even Microsoft.

But the title says Windows 10.  I have no problem with using it on Windows 10.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am not sure how the title ended up saying windows 10 (groan)

My problem is with XP, and the .exe should run there the same as other MSFT OS, IMO.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

I am not sure how the title ended up saying windows 10 (groan)

My problem is with XP, and the .exe should run there the same as other MSFT OS, IMO.

You should have no expectation that a program written for a later version of Windows will run on XP. You can try it, and you might get lucky, but if it won’t run, you just have to shrug your shoulders.

You can have slightly more expectation that a program written for XP will run on a later Windows OS - Microsoft put quite a lot of effort, with the Virtual Store, into ensuring that ‘badly behaved’ (by Vista standards) XP programs could still run almost seamlessly, as long as you never went looking for the files they used - but even this is not guaranteed, and the more recent the OS, the less it is guaranteed.

Similar considerations apply to trying to use a PC or laptop with a different OS from the one originally installed; you can often get away with it, but you generally need OS-specific drivers for various aspects of the hardware, and these are not always forthcoming.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

OK, of course the App is for Windows devices and tablets, not PCs.

So I am stuck with the Player that will not play.

Luckily, NOW is installed on my BT Home Hub (in another room) so I can get it there, but not on my Media PC 😞