cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV app makes my MacBook Pro overheat.

My macbook starts overheating and making ventilation noises every time i try and watch something with the NOW TV app, I only downloaded it recently, never had a problem watching on a browser but now it wont let me just watch on a browser. Meaning I can't watch like I used to, without the worry that my macbook is overheating. 

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous User
Not applicable

App is horrible with laggy playback and my mac sounds like its about to take off. Completely unusable. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Another one here, same problem, my Macbook Pro starts to overheat and the fan kicks in within 2 minutes of starting a video. When will there be an updated version of the app available? I have reinstalled the app and it still is as bad. What was wrong with letting your subscribers watch in a browser? I hate this app, it's a heap. It makes it impossible to watch your paid for streaming service. Like many others I have no problems with other streaming services, only yours. I see from previous posts that it was a known problem back in february, 6 months on, you still have not fixed this? It's not like Sky is running out the back of a shed is it, so get your developers on this, people are paying you for a service, and you provide a player that is not fit for purpose. Does Now TV player really need to run three processes called Now TV Player Helper at once?

If you can't provide a suitable update quickly, then just put things back the way they were so we can watch in a browser. This is really poor, I am tempted to leave when my pass runs out.

jonny8
Advocate

Can somebody from NOWTV provide an update. This is a farce at this stage that you haven;t resolved this. Bunch of jokers. You will take peoples money for sub standard product. Issue has been going onf or over a year now

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just downloaded and am finding the exact same problem, surely we are due an update? I am simply unable to use the service unless this issue is fixed!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Is there any update on this?

I find the app horrible to use - if you're going to push people off into an app at least give them a menu / browser so I don't have to be running a browser window at the same time.

Secondly, the quality of video is appauling, worse than YouTube streaming by a long way and I'm often cut off mid way through a programme.

Last of all, the app really takes it out on my Macbook's battery. I was wondering if there was something wrong with my computer as I noticed that I was having to charge it a lot more frequently, but having not used the app today as I'm at work (even rendering 3D graphics, running Photoshop, Chrome etc.) I haven't needed to plug my laptop in once.

This really isn't good service at all. If you are going to charge the prices you are then at least deliver a product that works. The fact you can't even get HTML5 video running through your site is, quite frankly, shocking but sadly it looks as if this isn't anywhere near the top of your priority list.

Unless there's an update by the end of this month, which I very much doubt, I'll be moving on.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

why hasnt this issue been resolved yet? from what i can see this has been going on for years and still nothing has been done to get it fixed!! Really fustrating when trying to watch something and all i can here is the fan so i cant even hear the sound of whatever i am viewing properly

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have reverse engineered the NowTV Player to identify the causes of these issues, Sky/NowTV are completely useless but I can give you one helpful step to reduce the chances of overheating.

If you are on a MacBook with a retina display, lower your display resolution as much as possible. Running the NowTV player on a 13" MacBook Pro with a retina display is slow because of the underhanded techniques employed by the NowTV player to hide the video from other applications which might try and 'record' the contents of the window. Reducing the number of pixels will reduce the impact that these techniques have on your laptop. You can use a tool such as SwitchResX or the terminal to drop out of 'retina' mode temporarily whilst you watch NowTV content.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

How can I get refund? I can't use the app because my Mac keeps overheating and you don't provide an app for my smart TV. Awful awful service.