cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV app makes my MacBook Pro overheat.

My macbook starts overheating and making ventilation noises every time i try and watch something with the NOW TV app, I only downloaded it recently, never had a problem watching on a browser but now it wont let me just watch on a browser. Meaning I can't watch like I used to, without the worry that my macbook is overheating. 

27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@jonny8 wrote:

Has anyone come across any solutuon for this. Seems like NOWTV are not bothered/concerned by this. Thanks

We are very much aware of this issue and are actively working on performance improvements to bring the CPU usage down as much as possible. Machines with fairly average specs should be able to play without overheating

Also, if you're doing multiple tasks with lots of browser tabs for example, this will have an impact on the players overall performance, so do bear this in mind.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also see this issue with a fully spec'd macbook pro - 3.1GHz i7 with 16GB RAM. After about 30 seconds of the nowtv app running (with literally no other background browsers/tabs/anything running) the fans kick into overdrive trying to cool it down and they stay on. The only other thing I've had do that to this machine is very complex final cut pro renders. Basic video streaming really should not do this. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So this is clearly still an issue.  I just attempted to watch on my brand new MacBook and it actually created a warning saying Now TV Player was causing it to overheat and I needed to shut it down.

What have you guys been doing to solve this?  The last response was months ago - are you actually doing anything?!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Its obviously still a problem, installed yesterday and macbook air dangerously heated up in minutes.

So no solution after months and months....

Tried the silevrlight enabled Safari but that doesnt work either - anyone else managed to use Safari to watch?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

God... how can support say uninstall and re-install.... what's that going to do apart from clear old data?? i've just downloaded the now tv player as i have to... in order to watch now tv... anyways, my i7 8gb 2016 mac book is is NOW overheating! no i don't have any tabs open or anything intensive running wtf...  i'm a new customer, the laptop actually burning my stomach... do you guys have cowboys coding nowtv??? why can't i just watch it through the browser using HTML5!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is an absolute joke! Ive paid for Now tv and cant even use it because your app makes my mac overheat and drains the entire battery within one bloody episode of a show. I do not experience this with any other video player so its clearly a problem on your end. Even when on charge your app drains the battery so quickly that it is still loosing power!! By the looks of this thread this has been a long and ongoing issue that you have neglected to fix. Please sort it out or ill be requesting a refund as i cannot even use the service ive paid for!! 

P.S Please do not ignore this message as this is a serious performacne problem that you SHOULD be wanting to fix 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

This is an absolute joke! Ive paid for Now tv and cant even use it because your app makes my mac overheat and drains the entire battery within one bloody episode of a show. I do not experience this with any other video player so its clearly a problem on your end. Even when on charge your app drains the battery so quickly that it is still loosing power!! By the looks of this thread this has been a long and ongoing issue that you have neglected to fix. Please sort it out or ill be requesting a refund as i cannot even use the service ive paid for!! 

P.S Please do not ignore this message as this is a serious performacne problem that you SHOULD be wanting to fix 

@Anonymous User 

Hi there, thanks for your recent comments on this, we know you have heard this before but we are working on a soultion for this, in the mean time you guys can try a few troubleshooting steps with put together here https://help.nowtv.com/article/something-went-wrong-error-on-now-tv-player

hope this helps

Sorry for any inconvenince caused

The Nowtv Team 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No, sorry, your troubleshooting tips do not work. 

The app is very badly coded, spawning thousands of processes when it runs. This makes it very inefficient, and the CPU has to do alot of unnecesary work , causing heat and the fans to go into overdrive.

Clearly the app was never tested on Macs. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

come on now tv, fix this! or i will go elsewhere. Totally unacceptable that macs can't run nowtv without overheating and probably shortening the life of the laptop!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem here, joined NowTV today specifically to watch Game of Thrones and found the Player absolutely unworkable on my Macbook -- within 9 minutes of starting to watch a programme, my fan was screaming. The only other option seems to be to use an obsolete plug-in, Silverlight for Mac, that is no longer supported and that I couldn't get to work anyway. I uninstalled the player cancelled membership immediately and will take my business elsewhere.

I don't know much about business, but building in a major design flaw that cripples your product for millions of potential users who actively want to give you money for it and then not fixing it for months seems like... not a great strategy.