cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Missing subtitles in W10 Store App that are available in the player downloaded from the website

As many people here I was shocked by the poor video and audio quality of the content offered by Now TV. I was going to watch Game of Thrones Season 8 but the whole experience is spoiled by low resolution and terrible sound.

I dealt with the fact that they are streaming in 720p, I'm not going to discuss how obsolete it is in 2019. Still, I wanted to watch the content that I paid for in acceptable quality with subtitles. At first, I downloaded the required player. It worked and it had subtitles. The only good things that I can say about it. The quality was awful. Apparently, you can activate an overlay with the ? button telling you the shortcuts you can use to control the player. I pressed B to display the bitrate which was set to 2453. Not impressive at all.

Then I found out that you can download a different player from Windows Store. That one provided me with much better experience but what's more important the streaming quality was better. Still far from what I'd expect but it actually looks good enough to watch. However, this player has its own issues. It's missing the button to switch subtitles on/off. Also none of the shortcuts from the other player works in this one. In fact, no button works there, not even space to pause. After pressing various buttons the bitrate and resolution info showed up on the screen: 4868 kbps / 1280x720. It proves that this player streams in better quality but why does it not allow you to turn subtitles on which are available? Do I really have to decide between quality and subtitles? Can't I have both?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is a joke Sky.

How can you have subtitles on the TERRIBLE browser/downloaded app content. But not the W10 store app?

You already have the subtitles, just add them. They're on every other medium you have.

It's not like this is new either, I see complaints dating back all year for this.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I am told, to my undisguised amazement, that the Store app is ‘legacy’ and ‘deprecated’, and it would seem that you have just discovered one of the ways in which it has been left behind.

So we are all enjoined to use the browser/Player combination instead.

I mean, why just shoot yourself in the foot, when you can blow all your toes off at once with an AK-47 instead?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

(ignore the wrong name, there forum software doesn't link to accounts and I .... Whatever lastpass idiocy)

So yea, the app had SO much more functionality and quality it just lacked subtitles.

Either have IN BROWSER playback or an App. I don't hate that I have to install Netflix windows uwp app to get 4k... It's not perfect but it's a ton better than this idiocy.

Another thing, during Westworld. If an alien/foreign race talks another language - and the show embeds subtitles as you're meant to have the info.... NowTV subs put a big black subtitle (Speaking ******) over the damn subtitles the show provides?

What monkeys are running this 🙂

Piracy 1 - NowTV 0

Even tho I have NowTV I have to go pirate your dang shows.... So why would I pay in future?