cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mac, black screen

I'm so sick to death of Now TV. It's just crap, so limiting. I pay for this, and it's just a hastle. 

I always had to use Safari because Now TV used silverlight which for the right reasons (security related) Google wouldn't support. So by default Sky condoned poor security behaviour.

Imagine my joy that the money I work for finally resulted in an independent app, followed with disappointment. IT DOESN'T WORK! I'm met with blackness. Nothing else. I want my money back.

You wouldn't pay for a toll road, only to be met with a closed road. This is a joke. I write software for a living, I'd lose my job if I led a team where this kind of contunual poor user experience and bad judgement pursuid. The Merdoch empire is vast, for god's sake, you have the resources for things to just work. God speed and make it happen.

39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi. I cannot get the nowTV player to work on my macbook pro. Its just a grey and black screen with no audio. Mt laptop is version OSX el capitan 10.11.6     I bought a pass and its been a total waste of money. i am not tech savvy. can anyone help? Thank you

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi

Any reason you are still using El Capitan, and not upgrading to High Sierra or beyond?

What does your Mac show in System Preferences/Software Update?

Even though my iMac Retina 4K 21.5” Late 2015 has ‘Automatically keep my Mac up to date’ checked, it found an updated Mojave waiting to be installed (10.14.6) when I looked at it to write this Reply, and I have it ongoing now.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi
🙂 Thanks for your reply and assistance. ( its an older mac and i dont think i can upgrade it any further)
On my newer macbook I have downloaded  the Mojave 10.14.6 but I haven't tried buying another NOWTV package again in case it still doesn't work after I paid for it.Best wishesMiriam
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Do you only get a black screen and no audio? Some other issues posted on here have said that they experience the black screen but can hear audio. What machine/OS/graphics card are you using out of interest?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's black screen with no audo.

This is really (pardon the swearing) ###### annoying. I actually pay for this. I don;t want to uninstall the app because I have to wait another month to add another device if I do, so I am paying for a service I'm unable to utilise to its full. This is poor, and I'm annoyed.

Sorry to vent. My mac runs MacOS 10.12.2, MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015). Intel HD Graphics 5200 1536MB. 

Sky, I want to be compensated. No support, poor product. This is my legal right as a consumer.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User Thanks for getting back to me and no need to apologise, completely understand how frustrating this is. As @Andy said, that '20001' error seemed to be a widespread problem last night and most of today as well. Have you been getting that error code all this time? Or was that just recently. 

If you install Silverlight and use Firefox you should be able to view content using the Silverlight player. You really shouldn't have to do this, but at least it will allow you to watch something. If you do fill up your device slots, I'm sure that if you explain the situation to some of the Now TV guys they'll be able to issue you new device slots. 

Sorry I couldn't be of any help! Really do hope they get it sorted soon! 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you have Silverlight installed on your machine, you can still use Firefox to watch in-browser via Silverlight (if you don't have Silverlight installed Firefox also prompts  to install the app). The error code you are seeing is a problem that appeared for users last night and is separate to your black screen issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is disappointing. Since NowTV did away with the silverlight plugin version, it has NEVER worked. I've tried installing the updates, deleting and reinstalling, binning my prefs, NOTHING WORKS

This is disappointing because I can't use something I PAY FOR in a way I used to use it.

SORT IT OUT, this is so bloody annoying. Why is it I don't have any issues with any other on-demand services?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User. Appreciate the frustration, but there's no need to create another thread. We're actively working on a fix for the issue you're having.

I'd certainly appreciate your help in resolving this issue, so please drop me a PM and I'll be in touch once we have a fix ready.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm getting this too, and I'm also wondering why on earth I should be paying for such a terribly cobbled together service. I just want to watch The Walking Dead, not have to chase around search results in Google trying to figure out why the damn app isn't working. Other providers seem to get it right, I fail to see why NowTV can't. Netflix is spot on, I can't fault any of their apps, they dropped their dependency on Silverlight the second it became apparent Microsoft was going to deprecate it, yet here NowTV is still pushing it as if it's state of the art technology! 

If somehow the mac app does work for someone, what kind of a user experience is it really when they have to browse content in the browser that in turn launches a local application that may or may not be up to date (seriously, if you really need - and you shouldn't - a dedicated app for some bizarre reason, make it capable of supporting the full user journey, ie browse/search > select > watch > repeat). Furthermore, in the likely event that something goes wrong, the troubleshooting steps outlined in the support docs are just going to baffle the majority of users (I mean really do you expect the average user to A. know what a cookie is, and B. know how to locate the cookie named "nowtvplayerInstalled" and delete it?)

Anyway, my system specs are as follows:

OS X El Capitain

Intel I7

Intel HD 3000 graphics

16GB RAM

using Chrome ver. 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)

How this solution got past user acceptance testing is beyond me, it really is abysmal.