cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mac, black screen

I'm so sick to death of Now TV. It's just crap, so limiting. I pay for this, and it's just a hastle. 

I always had to use Safari because Now TV used silverlight which for the right reasons (security related) Google wouldn't support. So by default Sky condoned poor security behaviour.

Imagine my joy that the money I work for finally resulted in an independent app, followed with disappointment. IT DOESN'T WORK! I'm met with blackness. Nothing else. I want my money back.

You wouldn't pay for a toll road, only to be met with a closed road. This is a joke. I write software for a living, I'd lose my job if I led a team where this kind of contunual poor user experience and bad judgement pursuid. The Merdoch empire is vast, for god's sake, you have the resources for things to just work. God speed and make it happen.

39 REPLIES 39
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for providing their device info. I'm looking for some volunteers to help test a fix for this issue.

If you're interested, please get in touch!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too have updated the app and just get a black screen but have audio. Please fix this soon Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous User can you provide us with your system information?

I posted instructions here: https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Mac-OS/Mac-black-screen/m-p/418310#M2096

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately, none of the suggested fixes work for me. Here is the information you requested:

Sierra 10.12

Mac Mini (Mid 2011)

2.3GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 3000 512mb

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, sorry I am sure this is an old problem but still cant resolve and need some help if possible.

Despite being able to watch Now TV perfectly well for 24 hours on my MAC, I have tried to access it today and I have been shown an error message saying its not recognised by Safari.

I have deleted the download and tried to reinstall as advised but now I cant even find the app to reinstall

Can anyone offer any advice.  I am not great with technology so nothing that will bamboozle me haha

Kind regards Di 

(running a MAC OS SIerra, version 10.12.4) (Safari Version 10.1 (12603.1.30.0.34))

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Di,

Similar problem here with the same system - getting black screen. Also my MacBook Pro on El Capitan gets error message 20001. This is while using the latest version of Firefox, having been advised during a live chat that this would be preferable to Safari. The advisor incidentally seemed to think that everybody should be as lighting fast as him in the typing stakes and I gave up trying to keep up with him.

Sounds like you might have deleted the NowTV Player installer. If you did, you should be able to download it by going to watch something and follow the instructions that come up, although I seem to remember just being told that I didn't have the necessary app without any indication of how to get it.

There doesn't seem to be a way of downloading the installer directly.

Try entering Now TV into Spotlight on the top right of your screen to see if it's still on your computer.

Otherwise I can only commiserate and bemoan the lack of communication between the service providers and the device/OS developers.

We are having to pay for the privilege of being beta testers. Do the technical bods not have time to see if their software works with various systems so to avoid inflicting such frustration and misery upon us while taking our money?

Sorry, just fancied a rant.

You can send a message explaining your problem through the help pages. I'm waiting for a reply myself so will pass on anything that may be a help.

Regards Damo.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Di, don't if you've had any joy, but to be able to download the NowTV Player again you have to remove the bit of memory stored in Safari that tells it that the player has been downloaded before, ie remove the "cookie". It's easier to remove all of these things than look for the specific one unless you want to or don't need to get out more 😉

Click on the Safari menu, select preferences and then Privacy, then Manage Website Data. Click on Remove All, then Done.

Now go to watch something and you'll be given the necessary options.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

My Now Tv Player is stuck in a perpetual loading... meaning it doesn't work anymore since I've installed the latest version (ver. 2.0.0)

My Mac Book Pro:

OS X El Capitan (ver 10.11.6)

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013)

CPU: 3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Safari: Ver 10.1

I've been through the trouble shooting twice, just in case:

- Removed NowTv installer

- Removed NowTv app Finder > MyHome > Applications

- Removed NowTv cookies from Safari

- Gone back to NowTv web site with Safari

- Re-Downloaded NowTv installer

- Ran NowTv installer

- Checked the banner on the WebSite

- Tried to watch a movie

- EPIC FAILURE

I'm out of options here!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having the exact same issue - ever since I updated the player.

Can anyone please help?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just spent an annoying hour trying to get this player to work, reinstalled silverlight, reinstalled the player (after I eventually tracked it down as it doesn't even appear in Applications folder?). Trawled through forums tried bogus fixes... It still cuts out after initial Sky logo to black screen, no audio.

I notice this issue 'has been fixed' in this latest player! (Also that sky would like volunteer user testers!!)

I'm paying for this service, and I'm sure that Mr Murdoch can afford someone to debug his software without taking up any more of my time. Pointing users to fixes like 'track down mspr.hds file and rename it' is SO unprofessional.

V 10.11.6

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Latest Safari

Latest silverlight

Added to firewall permissions

No antivirus block

I just wanted to watch Twin Peaks. Thanks for wrecking my night. Refund please? How about you pay me for wasting my time?