cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Linux support

Just signed up and I cant download your player on Linux. It tries to download something from https://www.nowtv.com/gb/watch/undefined which doesn't exist.

Any ideas ?

• PC
15 REPLIES 15
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My Computer Knowledge is non existent, but i believe that Linux is not officially supported by NowTV (unless somebody knows of a work around).

More information on types of Devices to watch on NowTV.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was expecting to be able to use a web browser like every other streaming platform these days so bit disappointed. 

If I cant play on my pc might just have to cancel this.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Linux isn’t supported 😭

Even from within a browser, NowTV relies on a proprietary video player that they supply for each particular platform, and there isn’t a Linux one.

You might have some luck with a NowTV Stick plugged into one of these if you can handle the USB3 output side of things on your Linux box.

Or put a VM like the free VMware Workstation, which I use,  on your box, and have a small Windows partition you can run the Windows 10 NowTV app in, which is very good.

Or maybe, more simply, you have a monitor that can take an HDMI input, and you can plug a NowTV Stick into this.

Or just use a TV with one, if you have a TV.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not sure why they need their own video player when everyone else can use a web browser.

I have amazon prime which I can watch on any machine. I have just resubscribed to BT sport as I can now watch it on my Samsung TV using their app which didn't work last year so I cancelled. I bought the £200 sky sports package for a year and just cancelled it as it doesn't work on my home PC which is where I watch it 60% of the time.

The easiest option for me on my PC is to illegally stream even after buying a subscription. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Because if NowTV cede control to the browser, there are all sorts of tools that can be used to control and copy the streams, and their agreements with programme providers mean they mustn’t allow this.

Can you watch Amazon Prime in a browser?

Though I’m not sure why anyone with Linux needs to pay for anything, given Kodi, if they are prepared to step over certain red lines 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB netflix, prime and btsport all work in a browser on Linux.

I could steal all the football if I wanted to on Linux or windows but its much more reliable and better quality to pay for it so I pay for it if I  can.

The whole losing control to the browser sounds like a red herring to me. You literally posted a link to a £80 device that would let me copy any channel I wanted. 

If I want to watch 3 o'clock kick offs you have to steal them anyway so if sky don't want to make it easier for me to watch it than it is to steal it they are going to lose out on my money.

VPN and these are also an option.

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/premier-league?utm_tags=goldpl1227 
https://watch.dazn.com/en-CA/premier-league/
https://getbein.beinsports.com/nz/subscribe/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, I too am saddened that linux support is not found.

Not only that, but I've just signed up via the web and already found that I can't use the service I paid for.

Not on really.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Look before you leap, as the old proverb has it. But Now offer a bit better than that, even if you never read a line of any Now supporting information; you get a seven-day free trial, which should be ample time to discover if you can use the service or not, and bail out without spending a penny.

It’s not clear to me how you came to be paying up front, therefore.

However, glossing over all that, remember that Now have sold you the ability to use Now streaming on any device on their list of supported devices, and don’t know that you are limiting yourself to this one unsupported platform.

However, if you contact customerservices @ nowtv.com (taking out the spaces), they may look kindly on you and refund your money, as they will be able to see you haven’t used it.

And make sure you cancel the service going forward, so it doesn’t kick in again next month.

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB 

Yeah Roy

An ounce of research is worth a ton of "not ons".

UK Bob

Sorry, can't do grams and tonnes.