cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HTML 5

hi, will the now tv service be moving from microsoft silverlight to HTML 5 soon? macOS sierra will switch off, by default, the silverlight, flash, java and other safari plug-ins. is this perferred HTML format being developed of now tv?

4 REPLIES 4
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

Right now we rely on Silverlight for our security and encryption but we know that the world is moving away from Silverlight. Most browsers already disable the Silverlight plug-in by default in these cases it's quite easy to enable this in the browsers settings but this of course is not ideal. As of right now I've nothing I can report on this right now but it is something we are addressing.

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Over a year later now, is there any news about this? Silverlight runs poorly on mac, overheating the computer and hogging unreasonable resources. I worry that it's a security vulnerability on my machine; my work wouldn't let me install it if I wanted to. Encryption alternatives are available for HTML5. Yours is the only site I've seen that still uses Silverlight. Surely there's a move to HTML5 happening?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Four months later, no news? 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is a pity. After experiencing freezing nowtv boxes, lost account and service settings when updating firmware and lack of browser support, I have decided to terminate my account.