cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Desktop app is pointless

I have been watching NowTV Entertainment on my Mac for over 2 years now, and for some reason at the start of february a message appeared blocking my ability to watch online, until I had downloaded the NowTV Desktop App. So I did this, and instead of watching online, it opened in the app. Ok, bit pointless already but sure, if there was no other option. But then when I wanted to watch another show, I had to go back online and pick another show which would then play in the NowTV App. Why is there no browse option within the app itself?! Not only this, but my storage space is limited on my Mac, so I try to avoid unneccesary software instilation.

The following day, I went online to pick a show to watch, and it didn't open in the App. It just played on screen like it had done since I got the pass. And, as I can't browse in the app itself, and I can watch online, this makes the forced App instilation totally pointless. When you open the app, it askes you do browse the website to find something, through the link displayed, even then the show doesn't appear in the app itself but STILL PLAYS ONLINE!! Why did you make such a useless and time wasting app? Not only this, but the App downloaded onto the same computer I watch online, counts as ANOTHER DEVICE? So that has taken up one of my 4 slots, as I had to delete my phone app (which I use less anyway) but now I can't add another device for a month, because the forced useless app download on same device counts as a seperate device. For a committed customer, this has all been extremely frustrating, and something needs to be fixed with this!

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey there. If you're still able to play in the browser, that means you're using a browser that still supports Silverlight. If you've been switching between browsers and Silverlight is not supported by one of them, it will ask you to download the new desktop player. If you don't have Silverlight installed, it will default to the desktop player. So might be best to uninstall it depending on your preference.

The new desktop player sadly counts as a new device as it generates a different unique device ID. If this has caused you to max out your devices, I believe support will be able to reset all your devices for you once.

We've got some great new features on the way, so please stick around!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to keep the Silverlight settings on for the internet browser so this won't happen again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is the final straw for me. The very fact that I am limited to 4 devices is crazy...none of your many other competitors have this daft limitation. I too had to remove a device to re-add one that I am already using!! I have made no changes to my OS and Silverlight is up-to-date.

Now, I have had to add unnecessary software and I am finding that the quality is reduced by extreme lip-sync. Once this month is through, I'm cancelled and I wont be renewing. I’ve spoken to support many times and aired my displeasure at your policy in relation to the restrictions it imposes only to be told that change is on the way. Sorry but it's a no show and I’m not listening to it any more!

and as a footnote; it makes me reinstall this poitless software each time I want to watch different content.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have to agree this experience is absolutely terrible. There is no clear messaging that you can turn Silverlight back on for Safari and just use the web client and now it's too late.

I hit my device limit when it made me switch to the desktop app, I've now found that the desktop app doesn't even work for me (I get some bs error code of p20001). I just want to go back to how it was before and watch in my browser but now I can't because I can't remove the app from my device list. Disgusting experience and extremely frustrating.