cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Consistently being logged out

I'm watching NowTV on a Mac through Firefox, and it's one of the most frustrating experiences I can imagine. Whenever I come back to watch a programme after a few hours of absence, there isn't just the silly dance from browser to player and back again, but it has usually logged me out in the meantime, and the website doesn't notice this until I try to watch something, at which point I then have to log in again.

Is this the intended behaviour? Can it be fixed?

4 REPLIES 4
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. I would have expected being logged out after a few hours is normal behaviour for the website. What you could do is bookmark

https://www.nowtv.com/gb/mytv/continue-watching

and go to that page whenever you come back from a break - the website will force you to login straight away rather than let you scroll around pages in a loggedin/notloggedin halfway state.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why is this normal behaviour? Nothing else I use like this keeps logging me out every few hours. It's hardly a banking app.

It doesn't even log me out properly - the menu for My Account shows all the options including 'Sign Out' at the bottom, but if you click any of them you get the 'Sorry, Now TV is currently unavailable - Please try again later.' screen, because it's lost track of whether I'm really logged in or not.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Normal behaviour in the sense that it's always been that way, it's not so much you're logged out but accessing any areas of the website that it considers account sensitive requires authentication by giving your login details again. Sites like Amazon work the same.

However I don't get the error message you do if I access account areas, it just prompts me to login again so maybe try a different browser or see if any plugins are blocking it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy,

Amazon does not work the same. I can navigate to Amazon.co.uk after weeks or even months of not watching those videos, find the videos in the menu, click on them, and watch straight away. Not only do I not need to log in again (because I was never logged out), but I can watch the shows in the browser without needing a standalone player - imagine that! 😉

BBC iPlayer is the same - it doesn't log me out between sessions. There's no reason to do so, so it doesn't.

I would like to know if someone can give an official answer as to why NowTV is so clunky and awkward in this regard.