cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can't install new Now TV player on a Mac please help!

I have downloaded and installed the Now TV player on my Mac (latest OS). The pop up box says the installation is successfully complete, however the player doesn't then appear in Applications.

WHen i hit play in NOW TV, using Safari (after clicking that I have the player installed), I get the following error:

'There is no application set to open the URL nowtvplayer etc...'

The dropdown with all the apps doesn't suggest the Now TV player which makes me think the install hasn't actually happened properly.

Any ideas very welcome. Thanks! (ps - this was a 1 Jan thing. Was absolutely fine watching in browser before today).

30 REPLIES 30
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. 

It should install in your <user> > Applications folder rather than your <hard drive> > Applications folder, so make sure you are logged in with the same user account you installed it with. 

However, unless you've deleted it, you should find the installer in your Downloads folder so you can run it again from there and try again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy, really appreciate the reply. The player doesn't appear in the user Applications folder - also checked the installation log and nothing there so clearly not installing (even though the I get the blue bar completing and the pop up box say installtion complete). I've run the process many times but no luck. Had exactly the same issue with other sky player apps. It's driving me nuts!

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

That's strange, I didn't come across any problems installing it. Are you using Safari? Obvious question but you are in an administrative account? Which version of OS and Safari are you using, I'll see if I can play around and come up with something for you (no promises though!)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy, that's very kind. I  just updated to OS Sierra 10.2 (after previous failed attempts on the earlier OS) and I'm on Safari 10. (I also tried using latest verison of Firefox). Downloaded the latest verison of silverlight too yesterday. I'm in the admin account and have downloaded apps from Apple today with no problem. Baffled!

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately I wasn't able to replicate your issue, even as a new user starting from scratch the app installs OK for me. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but the app does have various bugs at the mo so I would suggest an update will be issued soon. 

In the meantime if you have Silverlight installed on your machine, you can still use Firefox to watch in-browser via Silverlight (if you don't have Silverlight installed Firefox also prompts  to install the app).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I meant to add - that the NOWTV Player was residing in the USERS folder. All I did was drag the application out of the USERS folder over to the APPLICATIONS folder.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much for this resolution tip.

I have been at my wits-end trying to find a solution to installing the NOWTV Player as it keeps asking me to re-install the Player.

The Player is now up and runniing thanks to you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You're right - it doesnt because NowTV didnt actually test anything.

It appears from Launcher, but just to save you the time - it actually fails with error P20001 which NotTV seems to think doesnt exist...

###### poor execution....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am also having this problem. Installer say's it's installed fine but Chrome nor Safari will play it. Nothing happens when i hit play. can't find Now TV Player installed in Applications folder or by spotlight search. Any ideas?