cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

using BBC iplayer whilst logged in on holiday in the UK?

I have the black nowtv box. We live in the North West and have taken the box on holiday to Wales a few times without any problems using the holiday home owners wifi.

My question is with the new BBC iplayer account and log in arrangement which I have set up recently up at my home postcode which is connected to my tv licence, will I still be able to login and use the bbc iplayer black nowtv box in our Welsh holiday cottage we have rented for the week without any problems?

Cheers 

Pete

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

My guess is that you will be fine, my understanding is that the BBC IPlayer will work anywhere in the UK (even if your account details are setup at a different UK Post Code).

If you are encountering a problem with the BBC IPlayer App on your box whilst at the Holiday Home Owners network WiFi this help article gives some of the reasons why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/in_the_uk_message

The BBC IPlayer needs to recognise a UK IP address and if you used the BBC IPlayer on the same WiFi previously on past holidays at the same UK resident property and the owner hasn't made any changes to their home network then it should be straight forward has you did in the past.

Should you want absolute assurances, then maybe contact the BBC IPlayer Helpline.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I am having second thoughts about the accuracy of my above post, where i think a TV licence covers the household address rather than the person who pays for the TV license.

Where watching the BBC IPlayer on the move you need to use a battery operated device and can not connect the device to the mains.

Therefore i apologise for my above post and would be more comfortable if your question was answered by somebody on here with more knowledge about the TV licence or maybe speak to the BBC IPlayer Help Centre for advice.

Sorry about that, if you do speak to the BBC IPlayer Help Centre, i would be interested to know the answer.

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Sorry to trouble you again, i found this FAQ on the Official TV Licensing Website.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks for taking the time to comment.

That's very helpful. The owner of the holiday cottage has a valid BBC licence as do I. 

( It's not our own holiday home,it's one we just rent from a holiday company )

Regards

Pete 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yes, don't worry you'll still be able to use your NOW TV box to watch BBC iPlayer at your holiday home. The BBC accounts are just to provide a personalised experience (altho the BBC have admitted it will help ensure TV licensing info is also up to date), they don't prevent you from accessing iPlayer from other locations in the UK, so you can carry on using it as you have before.

Whilst the TV licensing issue doesn't really come into it, nothing has changed from that respect either - it is still the responsibility of the owner of the holiday home to ensure the property is correctly licensed, not the responsibility of the guests

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Thanks @Andy for the clarification about the BBC IPlayer Smiley Happy

Sorry @Anonymous User about my previous posted messages which gave you some misleading advice and information Smiley Sad

I doubted and started to question my own replies here last night and did try to remove and edit them all without success (due to the limited time slot given to edit our posts on the forum) Smiley Embarassed

In hindsight, unless i was one hundred percent sure about the TV licencing laws and the use of the BBC IPlayer away from your household, then i shouldn't have replied to your post in retrospect (my bad) Smiley Embarassed

Anyway, it looks like that @Andy has come to your aid with the answer you was looking for to use your nowtv box BBC IPlayer App at your rented holiday home Smiley Happy