cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

streaming on nowtvplayer

I have been having a problem tonight streaming onto my pc using the nowtv player.  I can navigate the site fine and then after clicking play nowtv player loads up and then...nothing.

Sometimes it just shows the splash screen telling me to navigate the site to find something to watch, other times it comes up with an error code 2000, and occasionally even the splash screen fails and it looks like an old html screen.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, I have cleared cookies, I have disconnected and reconnected my router, I have restarted my computer, I have then uninstalled and reinstalled and cleared cookies again but the issue remains unchanged.

Since I was trying to watch house of the dragon I figured I would try and watch anything else to see if it was a content specific problem but nope its everything.  

At this point I tried looking to see if others were struggling as well but nothing is coming up in google and I can't see anything immediately on these forums either that isn't old and telling me to do things I have already tried.

Any ideas or suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Out of curiosity I just hit play on a video while I returned to respond to comments and wouldn't you know it, it works.  

This was not my pc at fault, it was not something I had done or some fault on my end, this was the nowtv player or the nowtv website refusing to work for some reason that is nothing to do with me.

The fact that the issue is not widespread and was isolated to me does not change this fact.  I went to sleep, woke up came here and it is suddenly magically functioning despite no further effort from me.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

If you do a quick search on the forum you’ll see lots of threads with PC/laptop issues for NOW. 
Some have found a working solution.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will give it a go but so far the things suggested in the few threads I found like creating exceptions in my firewall and antivirus made no difference.  It was working last sunday as I watched the house of the dragon and the only thing I can think that I changed is I updated windows yesterday otherwise I have zero ideas.

Thank you for the response regardless.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok this is an update

First off things what I am about to say is something that makes no sense.

I attempted again to uninstall the player but this time windows told me it was unable to complete the process because something was using a part of the files.  I restarted the pc again and deleted those folders, then cleared cookies, then installed the player, then hit play.

And waited.  It struggled but eventually a new screen popped up...telling me the content was restricted to 18+ and required a pin.

Just one thing to note I have no pin and no restriction.  This is a personal account with my sole use so I had zero reason to set this up.  So I went to the site and went to my account and tried to update the pin to something I could then enter.  It told me I had no restrictions set up confirming the above.  Still I persisted and went through the process of setting up a "new" pin.

Then I entered that pin into the player and woah and behold the got dang thing started working.

I have no context for any of this or why this would be happening, I now believe there was no issue on my end but its the player that is struggling to go through its normal process of checks before playing.

One of the screens I forgot to mention that popped up occasionally instead of the normal splash screen was a message telling me I was offline, despite you know, me only getting to that stage because I had been on the website and clicked play on something I wanted to watch, which meant I most definitely was online.

I will update if it continues to function or whether it continues to throw a fit everytime I click play while it cycles through a list of checks it apparently isn't capable of succesfully making.

Issue is not resolved, shortly after this reply it came up with an error and we are back to square one.

I have one last potential solution using my backup OS on a second drive that is not updated to current windows patch level.  If I can get that working then the issue might be windows update making the player inoperable.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

So I don't use my laptop to watch NOW with, mainly cause for "small screen" use I will just use my iPad. Can't be much help best on experience I am afraid. 

The only times I know a parental PIN is required are when you are watching certain Live TV channels. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-parental-pin

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep it didn't make sense to me either and that issue does not seem to be recurring, I am back to either you are offline, normal splash screen etc.

I am now logged into my backup OS drive, which means the issue isn't windows related as this isn't patched for months so the only hope I had of fixing this just ended.

Nothing is making sense, the error code I am now given is 20002, which seems to think I have been streaming too long despite not being able to stream at all and not even being logged in since last sunday.

I dont know, will have to take a break and come back tomorrow and see if I can work it out.

Thank you so much for your time and effort to help, it is greatly appreciated.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Have a look at this help article, it explains those instances where use of a PIN is not optional:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-parental-pin

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been using Now for over a year without issue, watching game of thrones, house of the dragon, twin peaks without issue and without need for a pin.  I have watched live shows without it requesting a pin.

Still when it requested one I set one up and entered it, and it ran for about 5 minutes before coming up with an error and going back to trying to claim I was offline while I was here typing messages and able to view youtube videos etc.

The pin occurrence seems to have been a malfunction that tells me that the player is attempting to load the content but something is standing between it and doing so.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Which browser are you starting the Player from? Edge, Firefox, Chrome?

Try another one, especially one you don’t normally use, as Now seems to like its browsers plain vanilla.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was using chrome and following the advice in other threads installed firefox and it didn't fix it.