cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When is Chromebook likely to be supported?

Have used NowTV before and must have streamed directly through Chrome browser on my Pixel Slate device (or perhaps used an app at the time!).  Bought a 1 month pass last week and I can't get NowTV at all on my Pixel Slate which is disappointing.  I also have a Pixelbook Go and am unable to watch NowTV on this either... very disappointing.

The website says that Chromebooks are currently not supported.  This makes me hopeful that it will be supported in future... I would like to add my support for Chromebook support and if there is a roadmap/planned date for this that would be good to know.

Thanks in advance!

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think it is unlikely to ever be supported.  You are reading too much into Not supported at the moment.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv also states 

Not supported at the moment: Amazon Fire TV Stick

Not supported at the moment: Nintendo Wii

Not supported at the moment: Windows smartphones, Kindle Fire HD

And I can't see any of those ever happening.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Perhaps you are right, my thinking was that if I at least create a forum post it would let Now TV know that there are actually people out there who want, and would benefit from, Chromebook support.  I really like the Now TV model and happy to spend money from time to time on 1 month passes, etc. to watch sporting events, movies, etc.  However my primary requirement is to be able to watch these on my tablet and not being able to do so is a problem for me.  The only way I can watch Now TV at the moment is on my TV using the YouView app, but this does not work when the rest of the family want to watch other things on the TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Actually the above it not entirely true... I can also watch Now TV using the Android app on my phone, but obviously would prefer to use the bigger screen on my tablet device.  What I don't get is there is already an Android app which works fine on my phone, but I cannot use the Android app on my 2 Chromebook devices which both support Android apps.  The app does not appear in the Google Play store for my tablet.  The app does appear for my Pixelbook Go and works fine navigating around menus, seeing whats currently on, etc. but as soon as I then select something to watch the app will then crash.

I can imagine adding support for Nintendo Wii, etc. may not be straight forward and would require knowledge of their SDKs, etc. However, there is already an Android app for Now TV and presumably a team of developers who support it.  I would have thought it would be straight forward for this app to support Chromebook devices, which is why I remain hopeful that they might be able to add support for this soon! 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV development team seems to be rather scatty, so I would not count on anything happening on that front.

You may be interested to know that nowtv in Italy supports android TV fully for example Sony bravia backdating to 2017 models, but here in the UK they don't support it. 

For what ever reason they very choosy how it ingerates with other platforms and country's, devices etc

Heinstein
Scholar

The Now TV Android App certainly used to work on my Chromebook a few months ago.

Now, of course, it doesn't and isn't available in the Play Store.

I wonder if it was a deliberate move to stop the App working on Chromebooks.  Could there have been problems with Sky Sports Mobile passes being used on a Chromebook?  They can seem to allow those passes to be used on iPhones but not iPads so I'd hope the same could be done for Chromebooks.

Just speculation on my part, I have no inside info.  Would be interesting to know if withdrawing the Android App from Chromebook use was a deliberate move on Now TV's part and to know why.

Empty speculation on my part, but it is the internet so I hope that's OK.  😀

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Would be interesting to know if withdrawing the Android App from Chromebook use was a deliberate move on Now TV's part and to know why.

Yes it was deliberate.  It was removed from PS3 and Wii as well.  I speculate the reason for them not being supported is most likely that the user base was low so the economics of providing support for the app made it unviable.

The amazon devices is a different matter.  That is down to Now TV not having Amazon on the Now TV stick and vice versa.  Seems crazy as I suspect many people (like me) have both services and just buy two sticks...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just adding my disgruntlement to not being able to use Now Tv on my Chromebook.  Its particularly disappointing because I'm typing this on an Asus Chromebook with an excellent screen!  Aside from the TV it's the best screen in the house...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also echo this sentiment.  Chromebooks are more and more prevalent as home devices, only right NowTV should support this growing user base.  Netflix works fine, shame they don't do sport.

Chas89
Scholar

Chromebooks did used to be supported and, as others have said, after one update it just stopped working.

If you ask Now TV on Twitter, live chat, etc they just deny that Chromebooks were ever supported.

It's almost as if Now TV didn't even realise Chromebooks were supported.