cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

UKTV Play app

UKTV Play on-demand app would be more than welcomed to enable us to catch up on TV from all of the UKTV channels (Dave, Yesterday, Really and Drama).

Webiste: http://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've had we update from UKTV to say the UKTV play app is launching soon on now tv boxes

View solution in original post

109 REPLIES 109
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I see the UKTV promo for a few seconds and then it goes to the play screen but registers the whole time as 0:00. Have tried it on various networks and everything's OK with NowTV and iPlayer. Was fine on Thursday. I've tried removing the app and reinstalling it, but I might just try some other devices as this Smart box was one of the test boxes.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just had a quick play around and stramgely I think it works OK as long as its connected via wi-fi. Doesn't seem to work over a wired connection although other apps do.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just had a quick play around and stramgely I think it works OK as long as its connected via wi-fi. Doesn't seem to work over a wired connection although other apps do.

Just for info... If I switch back to wired and then start watching a previously watched programme, it asks if I want to resume but won't play anything.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The UKTV Play App is working fine for me on my smart box connected to my Router via Ethernet.

I can see that you have already tried deleting the App and then re installing it again without much success, weird that in your setup the App plays fine over WiFi, but you are experiencing playback issues over Ethernet.

Legend 5
Legend 5

Red Dwarf played fine this afternoon on it on the smart stick.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think I've got to the bottom of it now. Unusually I've got access to note one wi-fi network at home. I've got a pretty slow broadband router but also a quicker 4G system with a dish on the outside of the house. The app is actually OK connected to the normal wi-fi network, but if I connect to the 4G network either by wi-fi or via a cable the UKTV Play app doesn't work. The strange thing is that all other apps are fine. I can't change any of the settings on the 4G system, if that would help, but at least I now know that it's OK if I swap to the other router. Just don't know why this app is the only one that doesn't like it. Thanks for your comments though.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Not sure why the 4G router won't play nice with UKTV, especially if other streaming services work fine. The fact it works via wifi but not Ethernet suggests it's not the 4G service itself but as to where the glitch lies (router, box or app) is anyone's guess. If it's causing you inconvenience try the following in this order and check after each one

1. Restart 4G router

2. Try a forced software update to see if it helps.
 Press Home on the remote to take you to the home screen. Then do the following sequence on your remote quickly and smoothly
Home (x5) FF (x3) REW (x2)
 If done correctly a Secret Screen will appear (if it doesn't, press Home to go back to the start and then try again). Choose Update software and allow it to run (even if it reports the same version as you already have).

3. Remove the UKTV Play app from the box,  but make sure you restart the box (or unplug for a few seconds) before you add the app again.

If none of that helps you could try contacting UKTV either via Twitter or https://corporate.uktv.co.uk/about-uktv/article/contact-us/ but as I say can't really tell if the app is at fault or not, and I've n idea how good (or bad) UKTV support is.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I'm wondering if the 4G router is making it appear you are accessing from overseas. Are you able to use the Now app on the 4G.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Congratulations all. This is a superb addition to the NowTV / Roku line up. I bought a Amazon Fire stick partly to watch UKTV. I can confirm that on my Roku box, the new UKTV channel is far superior to the Amazon app. Well done everyone!

Now the *only* app I use my Amazon Firestick for is Curzon Home Cinema....

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous Userwrote:

Congratulations all. This is a superb addition to the NowTV / Roku line up. I bought a Amazon Fire stick partly to watch UKTV. I can confirm that on my Roku box, the new UKTV channel is far superior to the Amazon app. Well done everyone!

I used to have the app on the fire stick. Buffering, freezing, crashing... 

The app on kindle fire though is pretty good but I'm glad I can watch on a TV now. 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂