cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky X

Interesting news this morning re the new Sky X product which has been launched in Austria.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019/03/04/sky-without-cable-or-satellite-sky-x-launches-in-austria/

I can see this replacing NowTV in the UK as the delivery choice of Sky as the two services are very much alike, especially as the similar Sky Ticket service is being removed in Austria to make way for Sky X.

It may also explain why 1080p for NowTV seems to have died a death.

10 REPLIES 10
starman73
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

Interesting news this morning re the new Sky X product which has been launched in Austria.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2019/03/04/sky-without-cable-or-satellite-sky-x-launches-in-austria/

I can see this replacing NowTV in the UK as the delivery choice of Sky as the two services are very much alike, especially as the similar Sky Ticket service is being removed in Austria to make way for Sky X.

It may also explain why 1080p for NowTV seems to have died a death.

I did read elsewhere that the broadband speed needs to be 80 Mbps minimum , so don't expect it in the UK anytime soon. So ironically only cable customers could get it.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Sky-Sports-F1-Standalone-Subscription/m-p/3944874#M176015

...the much advertised Sky Q without a dish I spoke to a Sky installer and he said that will not happen anytime soon as Sky have done tests and it seems there system dish free would need a minimum 80Gb BB connection and as Sky at the moment cannot provide that speed they are almost ready to put that on the back burner.

For UK I suspect Now TV will be upgraded to 1080p (or 4K) and subscription prices increased.  Will probably have similar needs to Netflix (i.e. 25 Mbps)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@starman73 

As reported on the above link Sky recommends an internet data rate of at least 10Mbps for streaming HD content.

Sky X is to replace the existing, smaller streaming service Sky Ticket.

Rollout was initially reported as being Austria, followd by Italy, then us in the UK.

From all that I fully expect NowTV to be replaced by Sky X just as they are doing now in Austria. It makes sense to only have the one 'smaller brother', to 'full fat' Sky, not two if they also kept NowTV competing with Sky X.

**EDIT** the giveaway that the information posted on that virginmedia link you posted was a bit bizarre was the claim Sky X would need the broadband speed to be a minimum 80Gb BB connection. No-one would get it at those speeds.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Noticed the Sky X press release on my Google feed this morning.

To be honest i am a little disappointed with this product, where i was hoping & expecting Sky to provide a premium service like Sky Q except the delivery system would be over the internet rather than a Satellite Dish Smiley Sad

Maybe Sky / Comcast have a Sky Y or Z in the pipeline for us in the UK for people who are lucky enough to have sufficient internet bandwidth to deliver 4K UHD or multiple streams to record live programmes ?

From the limited information i have read, there is no recording facility or multiple TV tuners and currently no mention of 4K UHD on the Sky X hardware.

Looks to me like a re branded re designed NowTV Freeview Smart box with possibly a full EPG and full function remote controller.

Not sure that the NowTV streaming service is dead in the water quite yet, where i read this article back in January where Comecast has hinted what plans it may have for Sky & NowTV going forward in the future.

Article linked below.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/01/comcast-hints-at-future-plans-for-sky-and-now-tv-in-uk-and-europe.html 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

I fully understand when you say you're a bit underwhelmed with the new Sky X product. It does seem as if they've missed a trick with settling with it as is.

I remember reading the initial press releases when the technology was first mooted and it read to me as being the same service across the 3 countries mentioned (Austria, Italy, UK).

I remain to be convinced of NowTV's future as it currently stands. I can't help but get the feeling they'll ditch NowTV here, just as they've ditched the equivalent service (Sky Ticket) in Austria to make way for X.

For me personally it's probably not going to matter as the only NowTV I'm subbing to is Sports, and that has been cancelled, taking affect at the end of the Premier League Season Pass I ordered, the first week of June.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I remain to be convinced of NowTV's future as it currently stands. I can't help but get the feeling they'll ditch NowTV here, just as they've ditched the equivalent service (Sky Ticket) in Austria to make way for X.

It will take a long time to replace Now TV.  There are a lot of vouchers out there with 12 month expiry and once applied they can be used anytime in the next 12 months.  So if Sky X did appear, I suspect it will be two years before Now TV was closed down.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I would have thought things will become more clearer what Comcasts plans are in the pipeline for both Sky & NowTV in the next year or so.

Personally i think NowTV may be around for a while yet with regards to their streaming service where i am not so sure about their Broadband & Telephone service in the long term. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @RoyB @chai 

All not sure if you have seen this already but it looks like Sky Q is or going to be available in Italy

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/09/sky-launches-satellite-dish-free-tv.html

Hopefully this means it is edging closer to the UK launch and or pushes the timescale for Now TV improvements also. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chai
Scholar 3

Italy's Sky Q Fibre is a dishless version of the Sky Q service with the ability to watch a live HD channel while recording two other HD channels at the same time on the internal hard drive.

I really hope that it's the Sky Q Fibre type service that is chosen to be released in the UK, rather than the much more limited Sky X service (or maybe Sky will release both?)

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

@starman73 

As reported on the above link Sky recommends an internet data rate of at least 10Mbps for streaming HD content.

Sky X is to replace the existing, smaller streaming service Sky Ticket.

Rollout was initially reported as being Austria, followd by Italy, then us in the UK.

From all that I fully expect NowTV to be replaced by Sky X just as they are doing now in Austria. It makes sense to only have the one 'smaller brother', to 'full fat' Sky, not two if they also kept NowTV competing with Sky X.

**EDIT** the giveaway that the information posted on that virginmedia link you posted was a bit bizarre was the claim Sky X would need the broadband speed to be a minimum 80Gb BB connection. No-one would get it at those speeds.

How silly!

What possible reason could Virgin Media have for spreading misinformation about Sky services?

Oh, wait.......

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.