cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lindzi
Elite 2

Roku box

I wonder if any of you could point me in the right direction? I would like to get a roku box (not stick) but does any of them have the following:-

• Own power supply rather than usb, if not is there away around this?
  • Can connect via ethernet rather than wifi

My 2nd tv, which is a Samsung, is getting on a bit and built in apps are no longer being updated. Need something with the above features for now tv, Amazon and Netflix. It doesn't have to be roku but that's the only one I know 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Lindzi 

With the new Roku devices, the stumbling block would be Ethernet, where they all now work over WiFi.

You could consider the Roku Stick Plus which has an external WiFi antenna booster fitted to the power cable.

I own the Roku Stick Plus and the WiFi reception is pretty decent and the WiFi booster antenna does make a difference.

All the new Roku models come with a supplied power adapter plug, if you wish to use the power mains rather than the USB off your television.

Other than that if you want Ethernet, then you might be restricted to a Apple TV box, Xbox One, PS4 or Youview box.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Lindzi 

With the new Roku devices, the stumbling block would be Ethernet, where they all now work over WiFi.

You could consider the Roku Stick Plus which has an external WiFi antenna booster fitted to the power cable.

I own the Roku Stick Plus and the WiFi reception is pretty decent and the WiFi booster antenna does make a difference.

All the new Roku models come with a supplied power adapter plug, if you wish to use the power mains rather than the USB off your television.

Other than that if you want Ethernet, then you might be restricted to a Apple TV box, Xbox One, PS4 or Youview box.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Lindzi 

Here's the current line of Roku players.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/players 

Lindzi
Elite 2

Thanks @schnapps 

I don't really know why everything has to be wifi now....it's annoying when you have a rubbish virgin hub3 and wifi just dips in and out randomly and doesn't like too many devices on wifi 😞

I think I will try roku on wifi then and see how it goes. Thank you for your help! 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Lindzi 

Amazon have a deal on at the moment, where the Roku Stick + is £39.99.

Lindzi
Elite 2

@schnapps 

Thank you for the heads up. Do the roku sticks get roasting hot have you found? 

Roku ultra is what I need....I wonder if it would work if I bought it from the states and used a plug adapter?????

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Lindzi 

My Roku Stick + does run warm, but it doesn't effect the wifi or operating performance.

I have had the Roku Stick + since it was introduced in the UK about 2 years ago and it's been totally reliable and no complaints my end.

Sorry can't offer any input about importing the Roku Ultra from the States and what Apps work or not.

Yeah i don't know why Roku dropped Ethernet on their products, unless they was looking for a small size factor.

It's the same with NowTV, where they have discontinued their 4K Smart box, which in my opinion was the best ever product in their line up.

Lindzi
Elite 2

@schnapps 

Mmm it would be an expensive experiment wouldn't it!

Thank you for your help, as always 🙂

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Lindzi 

Your Welcome 😆.

If you don't mind going down the second hand route, then maybe look at the Roku 3 (fully loaded version of the NowTV stripped down black boxes).

The only thing suggesting older products, is that you don't know how long the Apps would be fully supported going forward in the future.

If it was me i would take a gamble on the Roku Stick + (perhaps somebody on the forum who uses a Roku Stick + and a Virgin Hub 3 can offer some input ?).