cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JustineH
Mentor

Now TV email scam

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me with an email my step mum has received.

She received an email a couple of days ago saying as on 5th September 2022 Now TV app will no longer be available on her LG TV and as a gesture they are offering her a free amazon firestick.

I’ve told her I’m pretty sure this is a scam and Now TV isn’t actually supported on the firestick either but we can’t find a way to report it to Now TV or confirm if it’s in anyway correct that the app will no longer be available on her TV as it appears as a legit email from Now TV.

Has anyone received this email and can confirm if after 5th Sept she will have no access to Now TV on her LG TV? We’re not fussed about the firestick or anything, she’s just concerned she’ll be paying for a service that she will no longer be able to access? I’m thinking it’s a scam, however it’s a convincing email appearing to be from Now which has thrown us slightly!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JustineH I can assure you and your mum that this is not a scam. Support for older LG TVs is about to finish. Also Now have supported the Amazon Firestick for a number of years now. In fact, it’s the accepted option since Now badged devices are no longer made or sold. So, you can safely tell your mum to accept this offer otherwise she’ll lose access to Now on her LG TV.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JustineH I can assure you and your mum that this is not a scam. Support for older LG TVs is about to finish. Also Now have supported the Amazon Firestick for a number of years now. In fact, it’s the accepted option since Now badged devices are no longer made or sold. So, you can safely tell your mum to accept this offer otherwise she’ll lose access to Now on her LG TV.

JustineH
Mentor

Thank you so much!

I had a firestick a couple of years ago and couldn’t get now on it as it wasn’t supported and thought it was still the same! With how intelligent scams can be these days I didn’t want her to take the risk without checking and couldn’t get through to anyone on Now! 

Thanks again! I really appreciate it! ☺️

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have read in the Sunday press that from October Samsung TV will no longer be able to access Now tv without a smart stick but available free from Amazon for existing customers with a code.

Any Ideas on getting this code?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You have to wait and see if you get contacted by NOW as no doubt there will be certain criteria to meet in order to get the free stick.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JustineH 

From my understanding this is not a scam and is actually happening. Older models of LG TVs to become unsupported.

As for the fire stick. It very is much supported. See this list of devices supported.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now

• Amazon Fire TV: 2nd generation (2015), 3rd generation (2017)
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick: 2nd generation or later, Fire TV Stick 4K & 4K Max, Fire TV Stick Lite, Fire TV Stick Basic Edition
  • Amazon Fire TV Cube: 2nd generation (2019)
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
JustineH
Mentor

Thank you so much!

I had an older firestick a couple of years ago and could never get now on it as it wasn’t supported at the time! Didn’t realise it now was! 
Scams can be so intelligent these days I didn’t want to risk anything without checking as I was on the fence myself with the email! 

Thank you again for your reply, it’s really appreciate! ☺️

RoyB
Legend

@JustineH 

You probably had the original Generation 1 Firestick, which doesn’t support Now.

But all Firesticks since do support it.

Thats a pretty generous offer from Now, as it’s only some very old - 7 years now - LG TVs are going to be supported any longer. Grab it with both hands 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.