cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Boost Not Getting 7830

Hi all,

I am having issues with getting maximum 1080p stream quality via now TV boost from the LG app on my LGB8 55 OLED TV. I keep getting 4830 stream quality. I have tried uninstalling the app, restarting TV, signing out and back in switching between stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 in the settings and doing these things sometimes gets the video's to play back in 7830 but next time I open the app or change a program goes back down to 4830. This has only started to happen recently when I noticed the app had facelift. Really frustrating and if not fixed soon is pointless paying the extra £3 a month as I only have a 2.1 sound bar so don't need 5.1 sound. My internet is plenty fast I have 36 mps fibre and the TV when I test speeds on the web browser achieves over 22mps consistent speeds over WiFi and plays 4k HDR via Disney, Amazon and Netflix with no bother. 

Any suggestions on what I can do here?

Not keen to get a stick as I like all my apps in one place.

Thanks

56 REPLIES 56
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

From my quick testing on my Youview box, i found the NowTV live Entertainment, Cinema and Sports channels was giving me a figure of 7831.

Where on demand content varied from 4830 or 7831 (more 4830 from the TV shows that i tried).

If you are happy with the PQ then don't let these streaming figures bug you, where it seems there is nothing wrong with your LG TV or internet.

Once i get the reason for the difference with regards to the varied streaming figures of either 4830 or 7831 from the NowTV Community Manager i will post the answer why on the thread here.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Just tried Arrow and Discovery of Witches on Sky One using on demand and both episodes that i tried was 7831, where i tried two TV shows on Sky Atlantic and they was showing 4831 with my Boost Pass.

Don't know if this runs true across the full Sky One and Sky Atlantic on demand library for example, but perhaps like @Saint1976 mentioned it the way the content provider who sends the files to NowTV compresses the files or bit rate that they use.

Going to leave it to the NowTV Community Manager to give the reasoning.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Ignore my above theory where i just did a quick test on Bounty Hunters on Sky One S1 Ep1 and it was showing 4831.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps I’m having the same issue on my LG TV 55B6V, mainly on the on demand content. Last time I had boost (several months ago) it was consistently at 7830 but not anymore. 

I don’t think it’s an issue with the app as the app hasn’t been updated since August 2019 (v 3.0.2) according to my TV so I’m guessing something has changed at Nowtv’s end.

I’ve also been using the NowTV app on my Apple TV which more supports boost and although you don’t get the streaming rate the PQ looks sharper/better. 

Would be good to see an acknowledgment of this issue from NowTV and a planned fix. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have asked the NowTV Community Manager on more than one occasion to provide some input on this thread.

Maybe contact NowTV using one of the communication methods on this link below on when a fix will be rolled out.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint 

My only device that offers information about the quality stream is my Youview box, which is not my main playback device in the home.

Tried a couple of episodes of Banshee and GOT (both Sky Atlantic) on the Youview box and currently i am getting a stream figure 7831.

Edit - Just fired up my Youview Box and tested out Raised by Wolves S1 Ep 1 where the streaming quality maxed out at 4832 😠.

lockmatt
Expert 2

hi @schnapps i have the boost pass and watching tin star liverpool is showing a stream quality of 4830,live channels on entertainment and sky sports show stream quality of 7831

Anonymous User
Not applicable

lockmatt,

as a solution keep restarting tin star episode eventually it will be 7830-i have need to restart anywhere between 3 to 7 times

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same problem here on an LG  OLED65E6V. 

Box sets and movies stream at 4830 and can only get 7830 if I switch the TV off/on (at the wall and not with the remote!!).  Also as others have seen, if you drop out of a show on a 7830 1080HD stream and then come back later it's back to 4830 / 720p no DD.

Live TV *seems* to be OK but anything on demand plays at 4830 (720p) with no Dolby 5.1 until the TV is restarted.

I first noticed this on Raised by Wolves as the PQ looked a bit off (blurry). I've tested with a few other shows (Terry Pratchet's Color of Magic being one) and they all now exhibit the same issue.

Seems to be a recent issue with the latest version of the app.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just discovered this place and discussion after posting similar issue on the BT community.

I also have the same problem. As it's on both my LG TV and my Youview box I don't suspect hardware. I also have both devices on ethernet, so don't suspect broadband issues. All my live tv and other streaming services are dolby digital/DD+/DD atmos as before.

While I'm concerned I'm getting lower PQ, my main issue is in only getting stereo sound. Was getting 5.1 on box sets til maybe a few weeks ago.

I found that if I toggle 5.1 to stereo then back again, then choose something not currently buffered, I *may* get 5.1 and higher bitrate. If I've already started on some given episode, no amount of toggling will get me 5.1.

As I'm new here, can anyone tell me if this stuff gets read and acted upon by anyone who can actually do something about this? I was looking at getting the movie package over the hols, but won't do so while this problem persists.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having this issue on an LGB8 built in app. Subscribed to entertainment and boost packs.

I can't for the life of me get it to output 5.1. My soundbar always reports Dolby 2.0. I was also stuck on streaming quality 4832 but found that if I switch the sound mode to stereo in boost settings it jumps up to 7832. When I change it back to 'surroun' it resets to 4832 again. Neither setting actually gives me surround sound...