cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Boost Not Getting 7830

Hi all,

I am having issues with getting maximum 1080p stream quality via now TV boost from the LG app on my LGB8 55 OLED TV. I keep getting 4830 stream quality. I have tried uninstalling the app, restarting TV, signing out and back in switching between stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 in the settings and doing these things sometimes gets the video's to play back in 7830 but next time I open the app or change a program goes back down to 4830. This has only started to happen recently when I noticed the app had facelift. Really frustrating and if not fixed soon is pointless paying the extra £3 a month as I only have a 2.1 sound bar so don't need 5.1 sound. My internet is plenty fast I have 36 mps fibre and the TV when I test speeds on the web browser achieves over 22mps consistent speeds over WiFi and plays 4k HDR via Disney, Amazon and Netflix with no bother. 

Any suggestions on what I can do here?

Not keen to get a stick as I like all my apps in one place.

Thanks

56 REPLIES 56
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't own an LG Smart TV to see if your problem is more widespread, though i would expect more reports about this on the Community Forum (unless you are the first to notice and report it)

Maybe other LG Web OS Smart TV owners on the forum can help ?

Have you tried unplugging the power to the television for about 2minutes to see if that makes any difference ?

Or maybe a factory reset which is a pain in the backside.

If that doesn't work, would it be practically possible in your home setup to connect an Ethernet cable between the LG TV and Router to see if there is any improvement (even though other Apps run fine over WiFi with your television and Router).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi thanks for the advice.

Can't attach a ethernet direct sadly as router is too far away.  I have tried a powerline before getting speeds above 16mps but this was not as fast as WiFi speeds so returned it as lowered stream quality on other apps. Tried turning TV on and off also at the wall.

The odd thing is the streaming quality seems perfectly good. Just can't tell if it's 1080p or if it's still 720p. The upskilling is good on the TV so hard to tell. From what I have read stream quality number needs to show 7830 or above to tell if you are getting 1080p. Unless I am wrong here. I am only getting 7830 occasionally when restarting TV for an entire episode. It's not that its going up or down with internet speed it's like it does not always enable it and will go up to only 4830 stream quality. Sound is much better though with 5.1 enabled.

Could even just be an error with the app showing the wrong stream quality number but actually still streaming in 1080p. Would be so much better if it just said somewhere what standard it was streaming in like on Amazon prime video. Hoping a rep from NOW TV could confirm. Just bugging me.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Does the 4830 streams happen with all NowTV content or certain TV shows or Movies (where not all content is 1080p with a Boost Pass).

Or are you using a NowTV Sports Pass with NowTV Boost ?

Should you be mainly using Boost with NowTV Sports, i would consider a NowTV Stick just for the 50fps playback for the six supported Sky Sports live channels that offer 50fps.

In my opinion 50fps over 25fps is a much bigger improvement to watching sports than the bump from 720p to 1080p.

My Youview box displays 7830 when you press the info button on the Youview remote when streaming 1080p content on Boost.

Hopefully somebody else on the forum will have other suggestions to try on your LG Web OS Smart TV (unless the LG television information about the stream quality is a little buggy or unreliable to judge the PQ on).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I don't have a sports pass. Mainly use for movies TV shows and live streams on a range of channels and content.

When I was on 7 day boost trial had no issues at all. Just noticed since the membership is now paid for and the app has had a facelift.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @schnapps fired up my LG WebOS.2 TV.

All live channels I tested (Sky 1 and F1 Channel) are showing 'Stream Quality 7831'.

On demand content (Gold Rush, The Undoing, The Third Day) shows varying rates.

They are HD though and I'm receiving 5.1 surround sound. I'll hazard a guess that on demand uses a different/higher compression rate that doesn't degrade the overall image quality to a noticeable level.

IMG_20201212_123837.jpg

IMG_20201212_124225.jpg

IMG_20201212_124346.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Saint1976 @Anonymous User 

I don't use my Youview box that often which has the streaming quality information figures, where i tend to use my NowTV 4K box which doesn't offer this information feature.

Just tried a movie and entertainment episode on demand (both marked HD) on my Youview box.

The movie was The Great Gatsby which showed 7832 and Episode 1 of The Undoing which showed 4832.

Both streams was definitely HD 1080p to my eyes so i would ignore the figures if you are happy with the PQ.

When i have time next week i will ask the NowTV Community Manager, for the reason why there is different figures for HD marked streams across various on demand and live NowTV content.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Just sent the NowTV Community Manager a message with the link to this thread asking the question for the reasoning for different streaming information figures when watching HD content with a Boost Pass.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing this.

Tested a range of live channels sky 1, sky Atlantic and sky news. And tried a few on demand programs such as gangs of London and raised by wolves. All maxing out at 4830 (4831 or 4832 ect). Internet speeds are currently 31.7 mps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Restarted TV again, singed out and back in and restarted my router. Now able to get 7831/2 for the live channels and some on demand content such as movies (Dolittle). Still 4832 for Gangs of London, raised by wolves or band of brothers. I will see how it continues as I was able to do this before. Don't want have to restart everything each time to force the HD streaming. Definitely not an internet speed issue as had stable speeds all day.