cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Apple TV App (ver. 6.3.6) not working

My Apple TV 4K has just picked up the new (redesigned?) NOW TV App (version 6.3.6) and, where the previous app worked fine, this new one just failed to connect and displays a "Sorry, NOW TV is currently unavailable. Please try again later".  There is a brief message, after starting the app, saying "Checking connection" and then you get the error screen. You do not get to the account login page. 

All other apps on the Apple TV work fine as did NOW TV until the app was updated. This started yesterday and it is still failing. I have tried uninstalling/re-installing the app and power cycling the Apple TV, no luck.

I have tried to use the Live Chat for support but this seems down (Hmmm – it looks like there’s a connection problem at the moment.). I DM'd @nowtv on Twitter who did reply but was not much help - they eventually sent me to use Live Chat 🙂 

Anyone else out there seeing this problem and/or has any ideas on how to solve?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have seen this message reported on the Community Forum recently with customers, where from memory the three main conflicts that caused the error message was Pi-hole software, VPN's or using a BT Home Hub Router and need to tick the file sharing feature.

If you have one of these features on your Router, then maybe type in "Sorry NowTV is currently unavailable" in the search box on the top of the Community Forum page for any hit results with workarounds.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have seen this message reported on the Community Forum recently with customers, where from memory the three main conflicts that caused the error message was Pi-hole software, VPN's or using a BT Home Hub Router and need to tick the file sharing feature.

If you have one of these features on your Router, then maybe type in "Sorry NowTV is currently unavailable" in the search box on the top of the Community Forum page for any hit results with workarounds.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps you are a genius. I run a pfsense router with a pfBlockerNG service enabled to block adware & malware. Disabling this service allowed the NOW TV app to start on the Apple TV. I just now need to figure out how to whitelist the Apple TV device 🙂

It does beg the question what the new app is now doing that the old one was not ..

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. Just had this issue. I wonder what crappy adware is required to make this app work that my router thinks is a risk to the network or privacy. 

Shame on Sky for requiring tracking for their app to launch. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just got the new Apple TV 4K and getting the same message. I'm on virgin media. Any suggestions how to get the app to work with Virgin. Jesus, you'd think Now would make sure their app works on all platforms. Had no issue with previous app.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Am having exactly the same issue with a Vodafone router - will let you know if I solve it!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

If you have just purchased the new Apple TV 4K box (generation two 4K), then have a read of page 2 & 3 of this link for the reason why you are seeing the message.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/New-Apple-TV-4k-quot-Sorry-Now-TV-is-currentl... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that. You're a star.