cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Netflix app on NowTV boxes -- why only stereo audio?

Why does the Netflix app on NowTV boxes only deliver stereo audio when connected to surround sound systems?

In the settings on my NowTV box I have it set for DolbyD, yet, when I play back stuff via the Netflix app all I get is stereo audio. I suspect that the app has been deliberately crippled, because NowTV only offers stereo sound. I started to watch series four of Lucifer last night. On the caption for the programme I saw the HD icon, but no 5.1 icon, and playback was in stereo. Switching to my Amazon FireTV box and Lucifer is listed with both the HD and 5.1 icons, and, unsurprisingly plays back in surround. Just what is the point of selling a box that supports multichannel audio if the apps are crippled only to play back in stereo?

Sky’s recent announcement about increasing the NowTV picture to 1080p, rather than 720p, will be pretty pointless if the audio doesn’t catch up with it. 

I appreciate that I have more than one source for the Netflix app, but I'm trying to reduce my count of external boxes. This is a fault in my opinion or a deliberate act to reduce the Netflix app's quality, and needs fixing. How do I escalate my complaint please? Does anyone know?

Clem

3 REPLIES 3
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Why does the Netflix app on NowTV boxes only deliver stereo audio when connected to surround sound systems?

In the settings on my NowTV box I have it set for DolbyD, yet, when I play back stuff via the Netflix app all I get is stereo audio. I suspect that the app has been deliberately crippled, because NowTV only offers stereo sound. I started to watch series four of Lucifer last night. On the caption for the programme I saw the HD icon, but no 5.1 icon, and playback was in stereo. Switching to my Amazon FireTV box and Lucifer is listed with both the HD and 5.1 icons, and, unsurprisingly plays back in surround. Just what is the point of selling a box that supports multichannel audio if the apps are crippled only to play back in stereo?

Clem

@Anonymous User . I suspect the issue may lie in that you said that you have the NowTV box set to Dolby Digital. This is incorrect setting, it must in fact be set to Dolby Digital plus.

Even if the equipment that you have the NowTV box connected to doesn't properly support Dolby Digital plus the settings on the NowTV box itself must be set to Dolby Digital plus. Dolby Digital plus is designed to be transcode it down to the original Dolby digital format, when dealing with equipment that does not support Dolby Digital plus.

The Netflix app has not been deliberately restricted to stereo audio I get 5.1 audio when using it all the time. One other possibility is that you might have accidentally enabled nighttime listening mode on your NowTV hardware. When this mode is enabled sound output is restricted to stereo 

Go to

settings > Audio > HDMI and change the setting to 'Dolby D+, DTS'.

To ensure nighttime listening mode is disabled, go to audio settings and use the relevant option

You should then find that the Netflix app for output 5.1 audio when 5.1 audio is available

Hope that helps😁

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I have followed your suggestions but netflix still plays only in PCM2.0

My stick is connected to LG home cinema. Now TV settings are Audio > HDMI > 'Dolby D+, DTS'. I can't see nighttime listening mode. Now TV updated to latest version.

In netflix I can select either stereo and 5.1 audio track but when 5.1 audio track is sleeted there is no sound at all.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I found that the issue was down to my TV not routing audio correctly for some reason. Although the TV can certainly handle DD5.1 audio via its HDMI inputs and route it via the ARC connection to my a/v system, it just didn’t work when I used the NowTV box connected to it unless I set the audio to stereo. If however, I connect the NowTV box directly to my a/v system I get full DD5.1 audio from the Netflix app., as expected.

HTH, Clem