cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW app requesting firmware update

Installed on our Samsung tv the app isn't loading but requesting a firmware update.  I've manually updated the tv and there are no updates to install. NOW tv is still not loading. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ive spoken to samsung an theyve said its a known issue they are working on a fix 

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still happening for me too. Not exactly what I'm paying money for.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes  -  I have had the problem for 2 weeks now ... completed 2 firmware updates (1 manual usb one, then another more recent internet based one).  Also attempted to clear the data/cache of the app.  Even reset the tv and all the apps.  NO SUCCESS AND NO HELP FROM NOWTV (despite lengthy call).

If this is a SAMSUNG issue, why DO ALL MY OTHER streaming apps work just fine (disney/apple/prime/netflix??)

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

An issue with Now on Samsung could potentially be the fault of either party.

In this case, the view seems to be that Samsung need to change something (back) so that Now isn’t triggered into suggesting a firmware update on the Samsung TV. Or, possibly, that Samsung should provide such a firmware update to overcome whatever the Now app is barfing on.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I reckon this is easy fix for NOWTV if they got their APP engineers to debug whatever triggers their "FW checking sw"  ... like I said before, presumably OTHER apps have fw/sw version checking routines BUT despite multiple FW upgrades, those OTHER apps perform perfectly.  NOW TV should get their APP engineers to try debugging .. not difficult!  TAKE SOME RESPONISIBILITY NOWTV

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Are you a professional software developer?

Here’s the dilemma:-

There’s a genuine reason, from the past, where Samsung TVs could not handle Now; there was nothing wrong with the Now app, but there was something wrong with the Samsung software which didn’t do what it was supposed to do, according to the API specs. Which Samsung duly fixed in a later release.

So Now would detect the issue, determine that the later release was not installed, and request the user to install it. And when the user did, all was well again.

Recently, something in the Samsung software, without Now changing anything at their end, has started giving false positives to the test (which is necessarily still in the Now software for historic reasons). So this is reasonably something for Samsung, who broke it, to fix.

Coding round other peoples’ bugs, as you seem to be suggesting, is a mug’s game.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks ... it would be nice to know if there was some official communication/actions between Samsung and NOWTV, to resolve this issue.   So far, with your "inside" knowledge of the API, the past would tend to suggest Samsung are at fault.   My fear, is in your use of the word dilemma ... where neither party takes any action/responsibility to even investigate!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

To clarify, I have not seen the APIs. We often have to ‘black box’ these things.

I was just pointing out that the criteria for ascribing a bug to Samsung or to Now is to inspect the API published by Samsung and determine if the behaviour observed is compliant with the API or not.

In the earlier case, Samsung released a firmware upgrade, from which we might deduce which side of the API the issue was on.

But we can never be quite sure. And there are often grey areas in APIs where interpretations can differ,

But the net effect of all this is that in most cases, developers have ways of knowing where to ascribe a problem, and who should fix it.

Of course, if you are a software minnow and a bug in Microsoft Windows means you can’t get your product out, you are tempted to code round it. But then your product may stop working when Microsoft finally do fix the bug; I’ve seen that happen.

But that’s the only dilemma; code round somebody else’s problem to get a fix out now that may not last, or try to ensure that whoever’s problem it is tackles it with due haste?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anyone figured out how to fix this? Is it even possible? Been waiting since Nov 21!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User,

The app has suddenly reappeared in the app store on my device (no warning or explanation from Now themselves) so it might be worth checking yours now too.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Weird! Thank you for letting me know.