cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Delete a device

Hi. I’ve tried and tried to manage/remove devices since I got a streaming limit warning today. I have tried the password reset method twice but despite what the community article says, I do not get the page that allows me to manage or remove permissions. This does not help me at all. I’ve had to buy boost even though it seems no one else is using my account. 

Either way I cannot get to the permissions and help bot is useless!!

Do Now actually have any employee customer reps around that can help me?

best

G

7 REPLIES 7
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Not on here, you are stuck with us fellow customers 😢

You can email Now, or battle the Help to find Live Chat, ignoring the blandishments to ‘Get Help Quicker’ which will put you into the clutches of the Nowbot, a sort of AI cul-de-sac.

But I don’t think they will be much help, as you are probably asking the wrong question, trying to manage your devices.

Firstly, you can’t manage them, and you generally don’t need to; secondly even if you could, it won’t help with the ‘too many streams’ issue.

However, Boost will, by increasing your streams limit to three - or it should.

But was your issue the delay in handover when you had been watching on one device, and wanted to stop, and then start immediately on a new device?

If so, it’s not the first time this has been asked today; have a read of:-

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-Billing/Device-Limit-Sync/m-p/588376#M20171

and see if that covers it.

If not, please reply accordingly, and we’ll go from there.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RoyB 

Thanks for coming back! I’m sure fellow customers like you will solve my issue before the help system!

as per your response, I’m aware I can’t actually remove a device. I read through a number of threads and saw that the answer may be to remove anyone that has permissions on my account. I read that the way to remove “permissions” was to reset my password and in doing so I would be presented with a page that would have an option to “manage permissions” but that doesn’t appear for me. I’ve tried twice. 

im assuming that the system is supposed to drop off devices as they get added but that doesn’t seem that clear or informative as to what is actually going on. 

either way I logged into the app and went to watch the Grand Prix and got the streaming limit message. This was the first time I’d attempted to watch in the app today. So I’m non the wiser. I’ve added boost on free trial but I’m guessing I shouldn’t have to do that if only I ever watch. 

is there a way to access permissions in my account to see if there is a rogue one? 

and do Now actually have a life help chat?! 

thanks for your help!!

best

G

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If, on here, you go to My Account/Manage Account/Devices then it’s read only so you can’t change it, but you should be able to see what devices are accessing, or have accessed, your account, in reverse chronological order. So if you have a rogue clingon, you should be able to see evidence of them there.

You are supposed to be able, when changing your password, to optionally force all users off your account (as a clingon with a persistent Now access to your account isn’t affected by a password change).

But it doesn’t actually work, and you have to ask Now to do this for you, on Live Chat:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-contact-now

They should be there now.

(Actually, the jury is still out on whether Live Chat can zap all clingons either, but might as well let them try).

A related issue we seem to get is that there is no clingon, but Now’s counter of sessions can get out of sync, so Now think you have a stream going when you don’t. Or something like that.

Finally, as you asked, the Devices algorithm. Devices are listed in reverse chronological order, so the most recently used is moved to the top of the list, and so on down.

When a seventh device is added, one of the devices on the current list is dropped; normally the sixth, but if that has downloads, the next highest device without downloads, if there is one. If all six have downloads, then the sixth gets dropped anyway.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User Just a subsidiary question: are there any devices listed amongst your last used ones which you don't recognise, albeit from limited information?

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Wouldn’t be a bad idea if it showed IP address, would it?

redchiz1
Champion 2

Not sure how that would help? But at least if it says "Samsung TV" and you haven't got one it gives you a pointer.

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 wrote:

Not sure how that would help? But at least if it says "Samsung TV" and you haven't got one it gives you a pointer.

If it said “Samsung TV”, and you had got one, but you knew the IP address shown wasn’t yours, that would give you an even better pointer 😛