cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast freezing

For the past few weeks whenever I've tried to cast from the iOS NowTV app to Chromecast, the stream has been freezing (spinning balls on the cast screen) after about 40 seconds.

Nothing I do can get the stream to restart. Disconnecting the iOS device from Chromecast and restarting results in the same problem.

I've reset the Chromecast and uninstalled/reinstalled the iOS app with no success. This is happening on multiple Chromecast devices and iOS devices.

The internet connection is fine and only NowTV is encountering this problem (Netflix, Google Play and Amazon Video are fine).

The problem also seems to impact Entertainment channels more seriously than Movie channels - with Movie channels the cast freezes but then restarts after about 20 seconds.

Is there a solution to this problem or more troubleshooting I can try?

I've cancelled my Entertainment pass because I haven't been able to find a solution to this problem. I only have about two days left of the subscription to try to fix the problem.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User I am also experiencing this. Streams fine on my tablet or laptop, just freezes after about 30/40 seconds when casting with chromecast to my TV. 

Have you found any solutions? 

Soulcal24
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User  @Anonymous User 

Both must have crap broadband because I use Chromecast & NOW TV App on my iPhone 11 I don’t get any issues 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Soulcal24 As indicated above now tv streams perfectly on my iOS devices. Just having issues with chromecast. In fact it was working fine 2 weeks ago when I was watching bt sports. Just started happening recently. My broadband is fast and streams other services like Netflix to chromecast perfectly. What version of iOS are you running? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I would also like to report the exact same issue with the NowTV app on iOS and Chromecast. Consistently freezes after a few seconds. No issues casting from You tube, Netflix etc. Started happening in the last 4 weeks or so.  Please resolve this as it’s very frustrating. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous UserAny chance you are running iOS 13.3? My phone auto updated to iOS 13.3 from 13.2 recently. Could be related.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes. 13.3 on iPhone XS Max
Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I did a hard reset of my chromecast by pressing reset button on the dongle for about 10 seconds. Then I set it up again as if new and it seems to have fixed the issue. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have Chromecast built in on Nvidia shield TV and it keeps freezing when episode or movie start..I have to disconnect and connect again to Shield and it's sorted but it's ###### off anyway.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi LG

Check out this URL to find the list of devices you can watch Now TV on:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/get-now-tv-on-my-device

UK Bob

PS. Nvidia shield isn't one of them.