cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Boost on Firestick

Hi,  

Just signed up to Boost but disappointed with picture quality. 

I have the entertainment package and have looked at live channels. 

Sky News seems particularly poor.  

The number 989 appears on screen is this relevant?

Sorry, I'm a novice user. Was just expecting BBC or Netflix type quality. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NOW streams take about 10 seconds to stream at full quality if you have a 12Mbps internet speed or higher with a Boost Membership.

If your Fire Stick is hovering around a streaming figure of 1000 or less and your internet speed and wifi signal is good or excellent on your Fire Stick.

Then if it was me i would be tempted to try a different wifi channel and wifi band on your Router.

If there is still no improvement after you have either tried a fresh NOW App download or cleared the NOW App cache, i would give the Google Public DNS server a go on your Fire Stick.

When using Boost on a Fire Stick and if the NOW content is labelled 1080p you should be seeing a streaming figure of around 8000 (subject to a good wifi reception on your Fire Stick and 12Mbps down speed on your internet).

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

In what manner did you take out Boost? Was it via the website directly?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

I've upgraded to Boost but I'm still getting ads and I can't seem to see any improvement in picture quality. Why is this?

If you've added Boost via our website, your account could take up to 4 hours to reflect the fact that you've added it. To get around this, you can trigger your account to update by signing out of the NOW app and signing back in again.

If you added Boost via your Smart Stick, Box, smart TV, PlayStation or Xbox, your account will update straight away and you won't need to do anything

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you @gavs82008 

I ordered it through website and tried to watch live straight away. 

Don't know about ads on box sets as I didn't try it last night today so not tried since so hopefully that will be the reason. 

At work so will look later

Thanks again 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just came home and still not impressed with the picture quality. 

Banners and text on Sky News really quite fuzzy. 

It says on screen Stream Quality 989

Is this normal? Am I expecting too much maybe?  

I've got other HD services and they are definitely better. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

How is your Amazon stick connected, Wi-fi or Ethernet?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

It's wifi, my only option where it is located . 

It's a new Firestick and I've got around to installing BT Sport now and the picture quality is so much better. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NOW streams take about 10 seconds to stream at full quality if you have a 12Mbps internet speed or higher with a Boost Membership.

If your Fire Stick is hovering around a streaming figure of 1000 or less and your internet speed and wifi signal is good or excellent on your Fire Stick.

Then if it was me i would be tempted to try a different wifi channel and wifi band on your Router.

If there is still no improvement after you have either tried a fresh NOW App download or cleared the NOW App cache, i would give the Google Public DNS server a go on your Fire Stick.

When using Boost on a Fire Stick and if the NOW content is labelled 1080p you should be seeing a streaming figure of around 8000 (subject to a good wifi reception on your Fire Stick and 12Mbps down speed on your internet).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

My internet speed hovers around 50Mps

From what you said, I assume that 989 is not good. 

Sorry I really don't understand what it all means really. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I only see a streaming figure around 1000 when my Fire Stick first ramps up when watching something on NOW or changing to another live NOW channel.

With your Boost Membership you are looking at around 8000 for a 1080p stream.

If you see something around 4800, then usually this is a 720p stream.

I would reboot both your Router and Fire Stick and try the other suggestions in my previous post.

I would also be tempted to try another television in your home with the Fire Stick and Boost Membership to see if there is any improvement with the streaming figure when using Boost on the NOW App.

Boost only covers the NOW Entertainment, NOW Cinema and NOW Sports Membership.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps @gavs82008 

Thank you for all your help.

I have waited for about 10 seconds and the picture really sharpens up. 

I'm feeling like a rather impatient fool. 

Now getting just under 8000 streaming quality. 

Sorry for wasting your time and thank you both again.