cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC IPLAYER PROBLEM

IVe just signed into my new black box, it did all its updates, tried BBC Iplayer, but no option to spect HD, I went into settings/ video quality & it was on SD, the option above is normally HD, but it says Best Quality. I selected this, reset Iplayer & watched a programme, doesn't look HD & when you press down, there is no HD/SD tab (like one 3 white now TV boxes) it just says info/Subtitles.
301 REPLIES 301
Anonymous User
Not applicable

any way to pause and see whole image?

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Pause and then press the 'down' button twice.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC iPlayer app on Now TV doesn't work.  I've tried to uninstall it, unplug the Now TV box, restart, and the reinstall it.

I've also tried updating it.

And as a last ditch attempt I've tried to reset the Now TV box and add the app again etc ... but no luck despite these attempts.

The error I get when I try to play anything is - 'Something went wrong .... ' 

Please can you help.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Were you trying to play anything in-particular on BBC iPlayer? I've just accessed and played a few minutes of 'Silent Witness' and it's working fine...

That being said... Now TV have no control over 'third-party' apps. The content delivery system for each distribution platform is entirely down to the service provider, ie: the BBC.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your response.  I'm afraid none of the titles work.  I did manage to stream Sherlock for about 30 seconds but then I get the annoying spinning wheel and it just hangs and gives the error message ...'Something is wrong ... this is usually a temporary ... etc etc'

My bandwidth is 26 mbps so it can't be a bandwidth issue. I'm able to stream ITV and other sky shows - just no joy with the iPlayer. 

Best Regards

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Next step...

If you have not done-so already, try re-booting your router (wait around 30 seconds before re-connecting the power) 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks .... just tried that ... no luck I'm afraid.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Check in the iPlayer settings under "Try new features in iPlayer BETA" If you're in BETA click on normal iPlayer. BETA is a little unstable.

Just a thought! Smiley Wink

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have tried all sorts of teaks to sort out the iPlayer app on both the NOWTV box AND the TV's own App and neither function in anyway you could describe as acceptable.  The speed and quaility of either Netflix or any of the NOW apps are by far superior and I have all but given up with iPlayer on the TV and decided the only way to get it to work is on a PC (or Mac) either via an App or through a Browser.  I think that someone at the BBC is trying to force viewing off the TV screen sometimes!  If anyone can give me any better solution I'd love to try it out.

(I have a 50mbps fibre broadband connection)

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

How long have you had your old 'white' NOW TV box?

Sadly, the original white boxes are really showing their age now as their processing power is pretty limited when it comes to running some of todays third-party apps (such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, etc). Some people have had some success deleting apps and/or reseting their white boxes to free up memory. However, if the problem persits you're probably better off treating yourself to the newer 'black' NOW TV box.

By contrast, the 'black' boxes which were released in Aug 2015 offer twice the RAM memory and a faster 'dual' core CPU. And can be connected to the internet via WiFi or wired ethernet.

Every now and again, various retails offer NOW TV 'bundle' deals, where you can buy a 'black' box together with either 'Entertainment' or 'Cinema' voucher passes for a lot less than buying the two products separately.

Cheers