cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Android Box and NowTV - Why is NowTV just plain awkward

I am looking to make my TV setup nice and neat but shocker, NowTV seems to be the only service that feels the need to be awkward. I want to use an android box (with proper Android TV OS) placed behind my wall-mounted TV, using a bluetooth remote for obvious reasons. Shouldn't be an issue I thought and it would not be if it were not for NowTV being precious about what devices it will play nice with.

Now, Amazon Prime and Netflix seem to be ok with android boxes in general (especially the certified ones) as well as BBC iPlayer, All 4 and the like. I guess Amazon and Netflix appear to be more than happy to attract paying customers and factor in their satisfaction. I also have to assume NowTV are ridiculously paranoid about piracy and only care about extracting as much cash out of their customers as possible (I mean really, Entertainment pass, sports pass, cinema pass and now even a kids pass because why wouldn't you). 

Bit of a rant I know, but is there any option to achieve what I want, a single box with bluetooth remote that can play NowTV, Amazon Prime, Netflix iPlayer et al in 1080p? With all the 4K goodness around this shouldn't really be an issue in my mind.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Roku 4k will do what you want or a roku 3 if you only need 1080p

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Not an ideal scenario, but does your Android TV OS box offer the inbuilt Google Chromecast feature like the Sony Android TV's.

Then if so, perhaps try using your smartphone with the NowTV App casting to the Android box.

Like i said it's not ideal, but might be a way to view NowTV via your Android box hidden behind your TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have been so dumb and missed the most blatantly obvious solution to my problem. Nabbed a NowTV stick which plugs into an HDMI port and has a wireless remote, problem sorted for £15 which included a month cinema pass.

No idea why this didn't occur to me sooner but many thanks for the suggested workaround
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You haven’t been dumb, you’ve been smart. Just a bit belated is all 🙂

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Roku 4k will do what you want or a roku 3 if you only need 1080p